close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

School PTOs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockrod, Apr 25, 2012.

1. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

My daughter's teacher and even the principal are nominating me for president of the school pto.

I have never done anything at all like this. I am not politically minded, but try to be civicly minded to volunteer my time, especially for my girls, but:
    -should I run like crazy!!!
    or
    -take pride that I am stepping up to do my part.

I am kinda thinking the crazy thing, but I think to myself that someone has to do it. Part the reason public schools have such a bad rep is that parents ae not involved. BTW, my girls school is an award winning school for SC and ranks well for all 50 states.

If I do it, what am I really looking at getting into?

Rod

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You get to put the smackdown on idiots who use the term, "government schools" at meetings. Thanks for stepping up and being part of the solution, not the problem. HH

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I may be naive but do you mean PTA (Parent Teachers Association) if not what do PTO stand for :dunno:

:50cal:

4. jpa

jpa CLM

Essentially the same thing.

I've had a few friends who were involved in the local PTO at their kids' schools. Basically expect not to have a life outside of your regular job and doing PTO stuff if you do it. If it's anything like what they do they volunteer to work in the classrooms, pick up donated goods from local businesses, organize special events like school dances, carnivals etc including staffing them and working at them the whole time. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but just be aware of the time commitment that's going to be involved. It sounds like you're pretty involved as it is, but if you're going to be president you're gonna own all the stuff that you currently volunteer for.

Good luck!

5. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

PTO: paid time off. I earn 9.2 hours of pto every 40 hours worked...

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

PTO, Ive seen usually means paid time off but if its like the PTA, they should give you a list of responsibilities, duties, tasks, etc before you start/accept.

:50cal:

7. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Kinda figured that when I put the word "school" in front of the word "PTO" that it would be self explanatory.

I apologize for confusing SO many people with a common anacronym!

WTF!!! :rofl:

I realize that there is a lot of my time on the table for me if I accept, but I just didnt know what was involved or expected of the duties. Thanks jpa for some description.

I guess if I am going to be a "community organizer", the next logical step would be to run for POTUS!!:rofl:
    I am quite sure that despite my lack of ability to run that office that I could still do a better job than the current Kenyan.

Rod

8. BigSteven34

BigSteven34

If you do you have my respect. My wife teaches in SC and her school (hell her district) is one of the worst in the state. She always says that one of the biggest problems with education these days is that parents aren't involved with their children's education like they used to be.

Side story, we actually had to move because some of her students lived in the same apartments we did. Lots of gangs and young punks around here who think they are tough... There is a reason the first pistol I bought was a Glock 19 for her when I am not around.

9. SCGlock26

SCGlock26

Been there done that! The absolute worst year of my life. Most "parents" and I use the term loosely, are crazy.

You will be accused of everything from being a dictator if you push your ideas to a crook if money is involved. There will be very few parents willing to step up to the plate and actually do anything.

The teachers really do not want you in their classrooms or suggesting any ideas for improvement since they are the "professionals".

If you are a conservative or Republican forget it.

I was accused of being a drug dealer because we had 3 different company cars in that year. We moved shortly after my tenure was up.

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

And this is exactly the problem with public education today. While teachers, admistrators, unions, DOE, etc. play a contributing role simply because they're filling a void created for them by parents, parental indifference is where the blame lies. HH

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Seems to be a regional thing whether local schools use "PTA" or "PTO" (parent teacher organization). Same thing, different name.

12. Search

Search

Our local district would be the complete opposite.

To the OP. If you have free time, just do it.

Fight for getting the kids a better experience. Don't over complicate it by swinging left or right. No political BS.

Try to get parents involved. Get the kids fun things to do. Just have fun with it. When kids are having fun they learn.

If you try it and it isn't what you would have wanted it to be, just walk away from it when your time is over. It's just one little experience in your life. No point in not trying.