School me on TVs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, Feb 27, 2017.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

My 8-year-old Panasonic Plasma TV is about to bite the dust. It has developed a black bar running bottom to top on the LHS of the screen, about 2" from the edge. No big deal - it doesn't owe anyone anything.

But, I am now in the market for a new TV. Looks like LED is the go-to tech now. I'd like to get something around 50-55" since the space it will go in isn't able to handle much wider than that, plus they look to get more expensive per size once you get above 55".

What brands should I check out? The local Wally World has so many I'm a little confused. I'll probably want to avoid the no-name brands but don't wanna pay just for a name either.

Features I would like:

1080P or 4K
    Smart TV tech (though I do have a Roku so not a deal-killer)
    3 HDMI ports, plus component inputs.
    Center stand would be good

Beyond that I don't even know what to ask.

Not sure where sells Sony Bravia's but I want to get more than 42" anyway.....

MO Fugga likes this.
  2. kiole

kiole

What's your budget?

3. dudel

dudel

Picked up a nice 55" Samsung 4k at Walmart about a year ago for what seemed like silly low price (compared to what I paid for a 36" tube monster 20 years ago!). Has all the features, and SWMBO is happy. Very little programming in native 4k (so far); but the upscaling is impressive.

Plan is to replace the living room Visio 65" with a Samsung 70" soon. But not in a hurry.

4. SC Tiger

Like to be under $600. I don't mind spending but I want good value.

In other words I'm okay with 4K but I won't buy a $1000 TV just to get it, vs $500 for the same TV with 1080i/p/whatever.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have had good service from a Vizio I got at Walmart a few years back and I like the new ones I got so far.

huskerbuttons likes this.
  6. kiole

kiole

I'd be looking for an HDR screen as that's the real image quality improvement.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Wife got me a 50 inch Vizio 4K for Christmas. Best Buy had it for $399.99. Great TV so far.

8. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

Samsung KS8000 or KS8500, or Vizio P-series or M-series are the displays that are generating the most positive conversations on home theater websites right now.

If you want something a little more entry level, the Samsung KS6XXX series.

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Got a Vizio on Amazon about 6 months ago. Very happy with it.

10. BBMW

BBMW

If you have a Costco membership, I'd look there, they seem to have really good prices on a good range of consumer level sets.

At this point, it doesn't pay to not get 4K. Even the midgrade sets have them. They also tend to all have Smart TV functionality. I like Samsung. However others are probably equivalent.

I'd love to avoid the current LED backlit LCD technology, but that's the majority of what's out there. I'm hoping my current plasma panel survives long enough for OLED or what follows it to become mainstream. Much better field of view.

11. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

My Panny 42" Plasma still hanging tough. 12 years old.

But here on GT, The Sony Bravia is the Glock of TV's ask TBO.

Bruce M likes this.
  12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Best dollars for inches right now is Vizio 60". Just search for the best price Walmart, Sams, Costco, Amazon etc.. And in my opinion don't be afraid to purchase factory refurbished at a great discount. Use the discount to pick up an extended 2 year warranty for $50.00 or so. All issues will be resolved with the refurbish and if there are any issues out of the box any of the retailers will take it back no questions asked.

/

13. yellolab

yellolab

What he said. The single feature that has the most impact on your picture is HDR.

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have a couple of BestBuy Insignias TVs, low-cost and very good. I have seen 55" 4k with Roku for $350 so that is the bar I have set. If I see it again I will probably buy it. Keep an eye on BestBuy daily deals, slickdeals, spoofee, etc.

I want built in Roku, I do not want generic smart with any voice features etc. I do not want that crap listening to me in my house.

15. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Get a Bravia and a new girlfriend.

[​IMG]

Bruce M likes this.
  16. Dragline

Dragline

17. FCastle88

FCastle88

Samsung 6500 series 55" curved 4K smart TV. Local Walmart has them for $800. Going for $800-$1,000 online. Had mine since black Friday 2015, great picture. Don't think I'll ever buy another flat TV.

Walmart has a great return policy. Can try the TV out and return within 90 days if you don't like it for a full refund. Most other retailers either have a restocking fee or you can only return if defective once opened.

18. SC Tiger

Your Panasonic is probably the same model as mine. It's been a good one. Funny thing is that the newer 42" TVs look smaller in the stores. Probably because the Panasonic has about 2-3" of border around it.

Thanks.

One thing I probably need is a decent stand. Some have those leg things that come on the sides and they probably won't sit on my current TV stand. Not a huge deal but I don't want to have to hang it on the wall as the TV sits in the corner right now. But I might have to do that.

What is HDR exactly? I haven't seen it mentioned.

The one I see at Wal-Mart is a TCL (I think) with built-in Roku for something like $370.00. Might take a chance on it.

19. fx77

fx77 CLM

20. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I just purchased two Vizio's from Walmart. A 48 inch and a 32 inch. Both are smart TV's and I have been very pleased with both of them.