Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
"The Goose"
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of grabbing a 92, I’ve always wanted one in the collection. Leaning towards an Italian fs.

When looking at gun broker I see pictures of newer guns with all the extra safety stamping sometimes on the frame, sometimes on the slide.

Are all the new ones like this? I see new Italian guns for about $580. Am I going to get all that junk on there or do I need to buy older?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

·
Registered
15,049 Posts
The M9 model and the Italian made models do not have the “read manual before use” and other nonsense stamped into them.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
M9 version if you want the military nostalgia. 92FS version if you want the Die Hard/Lethal Weapon nostalgia. If you want a more modern version with upgrades look at the 92X models. Also, there is no real difference between the Italian and US-made FS models as far as quality or cosmetics.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Being former military, I LOVE the M9! A lot of people didn’t really care for it due to the fairly thick grip and the DA/SA trigger, but it fits my hand great and I happen to shoot it very very well. I have bought, sold, traded many of them but always keep picking up another one. They are not everyone’s cup of tea but I love them and they shoot great! If you do get one and decide you like it, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to one of the Wilson Combat 92’s. They do AMAZING things with that gun! Well just as they do with every gun they touch lol.
To me, the military branches moving from the Beretta M9 to the Sig P320’s are making a big mistake. I don’t like the P320’s at all.
I understand why they did it, but the 320 was definitely not an upgrade.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,409 Posts
I have a 92 Compact and it is what I carry 95% of the time. I have plenty of other good (and lighter) options to choose from but if I have to bring a pistol to a gun fight, that's the one I want.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

·
"The Goose"
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know what yr/model I need for a blued pistol finish without all the safety crap in the slide/frame?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Anyone know what yr/model I need for a blued pistol finish without all the safety crap in the slide/frame?

You mean the safety crap that keeps the slide from flying off and crack you on the face in case of catastrophic failure?

Try to find an old model 92S, 92SB or 92F.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
What difference does the writing on the frame or slide even matter? The oldest Beretta I own is an early Beretta 92FS Inox with the 2nd generation locking block. It does not have the lawyer nonsense but it's not so much of a bother that it should disuade anyone from getting one.

As for the safety crap, I'm not sure what you mean. The only safety crap would be the enlarged hammer pin which is easily swapped for the smaller 92F pin. Not sure why anyone would do this though.

·
A swamp dude
11,346 Posts
The 92 represents many years of US military history to me, and it’s a great shooting, beautiful pistol. Mine was built in Italy, which only means it has some originality value to me.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

They introduced the Bruniton finish in the mid 1980s. If you want a blued finish you should get a 92S surplus model.

·
NRA Life Member
66,456 Posts
Accurate and reliable, but too big for many purposes and there is never a reason a gun should have a DA/SA trigger.

Unless you buy a fancy finish and grips, the 92 seems to have no advantage over the M9 verson and costs more.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Accurate and reliable, but too big for many purposes and there is never a reason a gun should have a DA/SA trigger.
LOL!

You’ve obviously never fired an LTT or Wilson Combat enhanced 92.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
66,456 Posts
The 92 represents many years of US military history to me, and it’s a great shooting, beautiful pistol. Mine was built in Italy, which only means it has some originality value to me.
View attachment 943815
That's a good-looking Beretta, but I think it's partly due to a really good picture with good lighting. Put that on a more interesting background and you'd have a magazine cover.

·
A swamp dude
11,346 Posts
That's a good-looking Beretta, but I think it's partly due to a really good picture with good lighting. Put that on a more interesting background and you'd have a magazine cover.
Thanks. The photo lighting is favorable, but the finish is standard Italian production from about 25-30 years ago when I bought this 92. The wood grips definitely improve the gun’s appearance; I bought them from a LGS in your city.

·
Beretta 92 Nut!
5,471 Posts
the 92 seems to have no advantage over the M9 verson and costs more.
What are you talking about?

In a fluke situation - you might find a M9 cheaper than a 92FS. But doubtful. I've owned 28 Beretta 92 variants. Occasionally, you can find a good deal on an M9. But generally, the 92FS is cheaper at most stores than a M9 is. At least here in Texas, and on many gun websites.

Sometimes, some stores will have the M9 and 92F sat the same price. But you usually do not find an M9 for less.

·
Stop the steal!
18,258 Posts
What difference does the writing on the frame or slide even matter? The oldest Beretta I own is an early Beretta 92FS Inox with the 2nd generation locking block. It does not have the lawyer nonsense but it's not so much of a bother that it should disuade anyone from getting one.
Howdy indivi.......

The lawyer writing on some firearms is disgusting to some enthusiasts, mainly because it reminds them of how it all got started in the first place. It is generally considered to be the result of anti-gun sentiment within our judicial system. In order to prevent stupid people from misusing something that any thinking person should know is dangerous if misused, gun manufacturers have decided that it's better to give the warning, than to risk a lawsuit from those stupid people who complain they haven't been warned.

I am one who hates the lawyer inscriptions, but you are correct, that many of us have not let that prevent us from making a purchase because of it. If there was a choice, I'd definitely rather it weren't there at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oddly enough, I have seen several instances, locally, where M9s were selling for $10-$20 less than 92fs models sitting right beside them. I'm a BIG Beretta fan who owns an M9, 92fs, 2 PX4s, and an APX.

·
"The Goose"
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howdy indivi.......

The lawyer writing on some firearms is disgusting to some enthusiasts, mainly because it reminds them of how it all got started in the first place. It is generally considered to be the result of anti-gun sentiment within our judicial system. In order to prevent stupid people from misusing something that any thinking person should know is dangerous if misused, gun manufacturers have decided that it's better to give the warning, than to risk a lawsuit from those stupid people who complain they haven't been warned.

I am one who hates the lawyer inscriptions, but you are correct, that many of us have not let that prevent us from making a purchase because of it. If there was a choice, I'd definitely rather it weren't there at all.
Thank you.

If I have a choice between a gun with, or without, a “read manual before use” engraving, I’m going without.

Seems the m9’s lack that. I see Italian fs’s with and without. That.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a 92x full size that I gave to my mother in law to be her home defense weapon it is one of my favorite handguns. If you don't mind the rail I highly recommend the 92x series as they are amazing shooters.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts