close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

School Me on Small Gardens

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wavetrain75, Nov 30, 2012.

1. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

"...I always considered you the Dutch elm disease of our family tree..."

Looking to start a vegetable garden next spring. But giving me a plant is like being convicted of a capital crime in Texas.

Outdoors, dry climate, good soil, lots of sun. Start small, maybe 10' square. In the unlikely event I can keep that going I have room to expand.

What are the most kill-proof plants to start with? Ideally I'd have at least corn, potatoes and tomatoes (bad luck so far with tomatoes). All of which will grow here if I do my part. Maybe some fruit trees.

2. countrygun

countrygun

My dog can grow potatos. You can actually grow them in a 5 gallon bucket and just dump the bucket to harvet.

Cherry tomatos and smaller varieties can do well in containers as long as you listen to your spouse about the size of the container and not the kid at the store (are you listening dear?) My wife decided to "container garden" this year to let our regular garden go fallow for a year (gee, who suggested that:whistling:). we also had our best crop of Jalapenos, and othe peppers this year. Timing is everything in most of those.

If you decide to plant corn in the regular garden, put it in the row(s) at the BACK of the garden so they do not shade the other plants as the stalks grow. Bear that in mind with other plants too when running the rows or hills parallel to the sun's arc.

3. 427

IMO it's all about soil preparation. We have sandy soil so I mix peat moss, potting soil, manure and a bit of miracle grow.

I grow different varieties of chili, tomatoes, corn, squash/cucumbers, walking onions, garlic, okra, tomatillos, lettuce, raddishes and herbs like cilantro. We also get apricots, grapes, plumbs, strawberries and blue berries.

I'm an amature, but that whats worked for me.

4. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

Yep, I have good luck with ample fertilizer in our sandy Florida soil. Collard greens are pretty damn hardy and grow well.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

If you really want to learn you will soon grow tired of reading.

Google square foot gardening

6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Been gardening for 38 yrs. Where do you live or what is your zone.
    You might want to go here: http://www.gardenweb.com/

Raised garden I built for a friend.

[​IMG]