close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

School me on NAS

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jan 28, 2010.

1. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I have milked my DAT-72 backup solution as much as I can. I am now looking at other options to back up our data server.

I think a NAS might be my best option.

I read through the NAS thread here.

The DroboPro looks like a good option.

What other options are there?

I am looking into FreeNAS to see what I might be able to do with that.

2. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

hi. Well i think there was another thread about NAS's like within the last few days..thats probably why no on has responded. i'll get a link now...

3. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

here we go...

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1174617

i know you said that you already read the other thread..but i just thought i'd link it anyway. At least it gives you something!.

I dont know about building your own nas. I'm sure that would be fun. I've only used the netgear NAS.

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

if you do buy your own nas, i'd say get lots of drives. Mine has 4 slots. Obviously, you know the more slots the more storage/more storage options. etc.

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

What are your space/performance requirements and your budget?

6. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

Performance and budget are not priorities.

I am looking at a nightly backup of 60GB or so, and I need to be expandable for the future. We were at less than half that 2 years ago. :faint:

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

You could build or use a low end PC with a Gb NIC and install a couple of 250 Gb hard drives in RAID 1 or 3 in RAID 5 and boot FreeNAS for a fast, cheap, durable solution which will provide a bunch of fault tolerance and expandability.

That's what I'd do.

8. Linux3

Linux3

OK, I understand this is for a business?
    The 60 GB. Is this a full backup? Are you doing some kind of partial?
    60 GB a night. What's your retention time?

We use a few Sun X4500s and X4540 servers.
    http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/x64/031210.htm

Real world with mirror root disks and 4 hot spares we are looking at ~18 TB per unit.
    They aint cheap but they are redundant EVERYTHING. They run Solaris 10 and ZFS. If you care about your data it's hard to get better.

9. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I'm going the NAS route once I have the money in a few weeks (obviously cause I started the other thread, heh), but one thing worth considering on the NAS vs. computer RAID route is if you use an online backup service like Carbonite, for computers its unlimited at about $5 a month. Whereas, for NAS, etc. it's by the gig I think.

Because of this (and I'm still debating on what I want to do or how I want to do this)...step 1 right now is get the NAS and a UPS. But what I'm thinking of doing eventually is use the NAS for storing stuff (act as web, file, database and ftp server) and maybe have the data mirror to a cheapy computer and use the computer as an uploading station for an online service.

The alternative is to have it backup to an external drive or mirror to another computer/NAS or something, but I know I'm not going to always take it with me so except for being a backup of the data on the NAS, it's still going to be local with the NAS which defeats the purpose of offsite backups. But I guess any backup of something (local or otherwise) is better than having no backups. So it's all probably moot.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  10. Drjones

Drjones

Drobo caught my attention too, but I ended up with a Netgear ReadyNAS. I recall reading something like the Drobo isn't true RAID, and you have to purchase a separate piece of expensive hardware to network it - yep, just looked at Amazon; a 4-bay Drobo is USB & Firewire, you have to purchase a separate $200 component to network it, bringing the total cost to almost $550. Amazon usually has some of the best prices around, too.

The free options are enticing, but they definitely seem like they will take more work & support; for example, I think I recall reading here that with the FreeNAS stuff, you have to tell the computer when you install a new drive; with my ReadyNAS, I just stick it in and let it go to work. No configuration or playing around required.

Honestly, it sounds like this is business-related stuff if you're doing nightly backups of 60GB, so why would you cheap out on storage/backup?

A home-built solution might be fun to tinker with and good for, well, home, but for business, I'd buy an off-the-shelf unit, but that's just me.

Netgear has a really great and very helpful support forum.

I've had my NAS for several months and it has been great so far. You can't beat the price; I got the 500GB unit from Fry's (it had one 500GB disk installed) for $300 with a $150 mail-in-rebate. So basically, I picked it up for the price of an external USB drive. Granted their biz-class stuff is going to be more expensive, but they are good products.

If you look around the "for sale" forum on the ReadyNAS forums, you can get some pretty great deals - that's where I found out about the Fry's special.

11. Drjones

Drjones

Couple more thoughts:

- The ReadyNAS comes with Gigabit ethernet. I usually get a solid 10MB/sec transfer rates using non-Gigabit equipment, so IMO, it would be a worthwhile upgrade for you if you don't already have it.

I'm looking to get a Gigabit router pretty soon.

Make sure your cables are up to snuff too. I'm going to give a plug to my buddy's site who has great prices on quality stuff. I just purchased Cat6 cables from him and they are awesome! http://3sigmatech.com/

If you have any problems, (which you won't) he's right down the street, so I can go yell at him for you. ;)