School Me On Laptops

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wulfenite, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Work is taking back the one I've been using.

I've been using PC based but I'm not opposed to trying a Mac.

Mostly I use it for web/email, Word Processing, Excell. No serrious photo/music work.

Cost is a big factor.

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

Cruise Ebay in the price range you want to pay. Make sure all parts are there. And in my personal opinion, don't get an AMD at all, no Athalon or anything.

Just my opinion, again, don't get a MAC. However, a lot of people have MAC's and love them. I think it is a love hate relationship.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

1. eBay

2. IBM Thinkpad

3. Sort by price

Try to get a Pentium M processor model.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

A good friend got an old $400 Toshiba laptop the other day, and wanted to run XP on it.

With a 500MHz PIII backed by 128MB?! Doubtful.

So he now runs Gnoppix on it from CD, with a GPX Persistent Home and a 2.6.7/KDE 3.2.3 Debian kernel installed on his 10GB HDD. He has no problems but then he also uses a WL card for HotSpots and LAN at home with either OS....

There was no hope for the internal modem, however....even XP won't support it and he refused Win98SE. Everything else works fine.

Good luck,

FastVFR

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

You should be able to run XP on a PIII 500. I have it running on a AMD K6-II 450. I have about 300 and some megs of RAM so I would crank up his RAM a little but it should run fine.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Ummm...yeah, you could, but when you figure in all the other crud you need to run (AV, SpyBot, TeaTimer, ect.) to keep it malware-free, well, that PIII just runs soooo sssssslllllloooowwwww with 128MB of RAM you just can't stand it.

Plus I just built him a gaming rig with a 3.4EE, 2GB of Corsair Low Latency DDR 400 on an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MOBO, that scores over 22,000 3DMark01 points.

Trust me...he would not be satisfied with the speed difference.

So now he is trying to choose between Gnome, Fluxbox and straight KDE 3.2.3 for a GUI.

BTW, awhile back I had a shop PC with a K6 also, a 700MHz/200MHzFSB and 512MB of PC133 RAM that navigated page-to-page in XP just as fast as this 2.8GHz P4 does.

I am aware that the XP OS will run on an older PC, but, well, you know how some folks get spoiled...I can get it working on a Pentium II, but why?! It would be like going from a T3 back to DialUp!!

My GF has an old Compaq Presorryo from '99 that I installed XP Pro on...Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB PC133.

That used to seem quick, but now, especially after converting to Linux for most things, that thing seems like a MUTT!! Seriously pooched in comparison to this, even while I have XP PRO up. Linux just KILLS it by comparison.

The biggest obstacle to a dual-boot for my buddy's laptop is the $200 for a 128MB stick that the only laptop place around quoted him.

Personally, I can do anything at all with a desktop PC...if it is possible, I have most likely done it repeatedly.

But I don't work on laptops...their PCMCIA cards and OS issues, sure...but I don't do their innards.

Regards,

FastVFR

7. 1911lover

1911lover Fiddler1911

The PUBLIC school i go to has class sets of ibm thinkpad laptops with dvd burner!;fPUBLIC

8. bk30

bk30 Millennium Member

Wulf,

I took a chance and switched to Mac's almost 2 years ago. One of the better decisions I've made. Only software you'd need is MS Office for Mac. Take a good look with an open mind. OS X for me and a lot of others is far superior to Windows.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20040916.html - No viruses for Macs.

http://www.apple.com/

http://www.powerbookcentral.com/ for prices and deals

I'm using a Powerbook (and a dual 2.0 G5 for video and photo work). Its really a pleasure to use! The iBook would be ideal for your stated needs. I spotted a refurb at the apple store for $850...

9. srhoades

srhoades

Or you could use Openoffice which is free.

10. bk30

bk30 Millennium Member

True. Or he could use appleworks which is included with iBooks. I don't have any experience with openoffice so I didn't mention it. I will add that MS Office works better on Macs than on PCs.

11. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Thanks for the comments about the Mac's.

What are the differences between the Ibooks and Powerbooks? Its not really clear from what I've seen on apple's site on which users each model line is aimed at.

Also, how stable are the MS products on the Mac. I get really frustruated with MS products because sometimes, for no apparent reason, you'll click a button to open a file or whatever and the hour glass will come up and stay up. Four minutes later you a "Not Responding" message and you've lost whatever you havent saved.

Do people generally have good luck w/ refurbished units?

Will the Apple talk to my home wireless network and will it trade files with the PC that's on the other end?

12. mwheeler

mwheeler

Soimething pleasant you'll discover with the Mac - the joy of being under control of your own computer, and free of the viruses, worms, spybots, and other malware taking over your system, slowing it down, blue screens, etc. Ask any Mac user - especially those who have come there from Windows. Actually, I use both, but for things I need to remain secure, it's Mac.

Some attempts at answers to your questions:

>What are the differences between the Ibooks and Powerbooks? Its not really clear from what I've seen on apple's site on which users each model line is aimed at.

The iBooks are usually priced less than PowerBook models. Noted for their plastic cases (vs. metal on the PowerBook). However, a plastic (Cycolac) case ensures better wireless range. Otherwise, they both work the same way for what you want to do.

>Also, how stable are the MS products on the Mac. I get really frustruated with MS products because sometimes, for no apparent reason, you'll click a button to open a file or whatever and the hour glass will come up and stay up. Four minutes later you a "Not Responding" message and you've lost whatever you havent saved.

Wasn't always true, but under OS X the MS apps are very stable, and much more stable than infected Windows systems.

>Do people generally have good luck w/ refurbished units?

Yes, BUT. I stick with units that have been reconditioned by Apple, and not third parties. In fact, Apple's testing on refurbs is more extensive than new units. You get a warranty, and save $$. Apple's online store has new listings constantly. Go to http://store.apple.com and look for the "SAVE" tag and click there. As I write this they have iBooks starting at $949, and PowerBooks starting at $1099.

>Will the Apple talk to my home wireless network and will it trade files with the PC that's on the other end?

Yup. In fact, your OS X Mac has more than one way to easily set itself up as a Windows server for the purpose of sharing files.

13. bk30

bk30 Millennium Member

Powerbooks are targeted more towards power users. Faster processors and RAM (and can utilize more also), larger hard drives, better video cards...etc. The iBooks are really good buys unless you're heavy into photo/video type work.

OS X runs MS apps better than Windows PCs! I've never had one problem in 1.5yrs... I mainly just use word and excel.

I agree with sticking with refurbs from Apple. My G5 is a refurb and has been trouble free. Apple gives the same 1 year warranty with their refurbs as their new computers. Plus you can buy their extd warranty, AppleCare, anytime within the 1st year.

My one recommendation is to buy as much RAM (www.crucial.com) as you can afford. OS X runs best with a minimum of 512MB. Amazon has new iBooks and Powerbooks for $150 off right now (rebate) + no tax or shipping fees. Good Luck!