Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Why so serious?
65,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Utah bus driver arrested after police catch her drunk on the school run... carrying a handgun

A female school bus driver in Hyram, Utah, was arrested on Friday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol... while carrying a handgun.
The incredible double-whammy was only discovered after Tamara Gustaveson, 56, started a parking-lot argument with another driver...

...Cache County Sheriff's Lieutenant Chad Jensen Confirmed that Gustaveson told police that she was cut off by another driver at about 7.50am on Friday and got into an argument with the driver.
He said the firearm was not in itself a crime - it belongs to Gustaveson and she has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon...

But he added: 'She probably has 30 to 45 students on her bus at any given time. People who are impaired often cause some pretty tragic events and it would be devastating with what could happen with 35 to 40 kids on her bus.'....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-run--carrying-handgun.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

·
Why so serious?
65,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
NRA Member
252 Posts
Utah bus driver arrested after police catch her drunk on the school run... carrying a handgun

A female school bus driver in Hyram, Utah, was arrested on Friday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol... while carrying a handgun.
The incredible double-whammy was only discovered after Tamara Gustaveson, 56, started a parking-lot argument with another driver...

...Cache County Sheriff's Lieutenant Chad Jensen Confirmed that Gustaveson told police that she was cut off by another driver at about 7.50am on Friday and got into an argument with the driver.
He said the firearm was not in itself a crime - it belongs to Gustaveson and she has a valid permit to carry a concealed weapon...

But he added: 'She probably has 30 to 45 students on her bus at any given time. People who are impaired often cause some pretty tragic events and it would be devastating with what could happen with 35 to 40 kids on her bus.'....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-run--carrying-handgun.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
"ME" Carrying in a School Zone !:wow: ? Would like to hear the explanation.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Not surprising at all, I have seen some School Bus Drivers doing some quite dangerous things. Need to weed out the idiot ones.

·
Why so serious?
65,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the impression the incident/arrest was not on school grounds.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Wow. Being drunk and driving a school bus. What a ....

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I remember when Cleveland, Ohio started Bussing back around 1980 because of Desegregation. That was a real treat, I was in the 5th grade and my first bus ride to school. I had a school two blocks from me and the City Schools sent me and half the neiborghhoods kids 10 miles away.

Anyways, my first day on the bus, the driver hit a parked car and kept going. Then one other time, we were pulled over because the Schools Transportation Department never put the numbers on the buss.

Then, if our regular driver were not there, we would get a substitute driver. Most of the time they never knew where they were going. Many times, we got lost and we were an hour late getting to school or home.

Until I started driving myself to school, there was always some kind of issue with the drivers doing something that they shouldn’t have.:upeyes:

·
NRA Member
252 Posts
I've got the impression the incident/arrest was not on school grounds.
Your right it was not on school property. But I bet the bus itself is considered school property where ever it travelswhen authorized by a school board and would be treated as a GFZ! But IANAL As I understand it the only way you can carry on school property , other than LE, is to have consent by the school board.

Still driving under the influence wiht a load of kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
I guess this is not the same woman bus driver that's been in the news lately?

The one where her FST were shown on video.....and boy howdy, how she failed. Said her BOC was three times the legal limit. Can't remember where she was.....but she was given probation and community service just the other day.....for being drunk while driving 45 kids around on a school bus. Don't believe she was armed though.

School fired her of course, but still......we turn our kids over to the school only to put them in more danger than if they were home?

To me, this just points out how minor a crime the courts choose to see DUI as being. It is my honest and clear belief that's it all due to those who work in that "system" not wanting the wall to fall in on them when they get caught. Certainly not every member of the BAR engages in such behavior, but enough that I personally know would give any alcoholic a run for their money. Saddening and maddening.

Wonder how they would have felt if their kids had been on the bus?

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
CCW in a school zone in Utah is not a crime. There a few drivers who carry. The DUI is inexcusable.

·
Can you hear me
3,287 Posts
I hope they throw the book at her for the DUI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts