Scherer ridgid recoil rod

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AZson, Feb 20, 2010.

1. AZson

AZson

Anybody try these? I'm not sure what they do? Do the completely replace your guide rod or they just and insert?

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

They are inserted into your OEM recoil spring guide rod. You won't get it out if you put it in. Supposed to stiffen the guide rod.

3. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Scherer ridgid recoil rod...(Here, let me finish the sentence)...SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH A STOCK UNIT!

4. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

If it is made by Scherer it is NOT going into my gun.

5. AZson

AZson

Thats what I thought, I always replace mine with steal guide rods because the stock have a tendency to break. I'll pass on these. This does not stop the lips from breaking.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

The rigid guide rod I have is just a thin rod inserted into the stock rod. Are we talking about something different.
    As for the lips breaking on the originals, is this really an issue? I have only seen one guiderod with broken lips/edges, and it was in a circa 1997 G22 after 8 years of use.:dunno:

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Did try the rod that went inside the stock rod.
    Did not see any practical difference when shooting.

Was able to get it out by popping the cap off the stock rod.
    Cap pops back on.
    Sometimes you have to glue them back.

If you want a rigid rod, go metal.
    :wow::rofl:

Note: except for the really bad run of subcompact rod a few years back, most stock rods do not fail.
    Manual used to suggest changing them out during annual inspection.
    No clue now.

Just change them when slide is slow to go into battery with muzzle pointed straight up.
    :wavey:

8. ck1

ck1 Some Dude

Glock guide rods are and were designed to flex!

There's nothing wrong with the stock guide rods and in millions upon millions of instances they've almost never failed other than maybe a piece of the plastic chipping or breaking from guns being reassembled incorrectly (in fact, the gun can work WITHOUT a guide rod as long as the spring is in place... like in some torture tests where they've melted and been spit out the front).

There is almost no real benefit from using an after-market guide rod whether it be steel, tungsten, platinum or otherwise (if you're trying to change recoil characteristics or knock down muzzle flip you need to look into the recoil spring strength, NOT the guide rod material)... unless you feel like introducing a part that could possibly become a failure point and make your Glock less reliable the stock guide rod/recoil assembly is fine. In a Glock, just about the only thing a different guide rod can do is change the static balance of the gun and potentially F' it up... that's it.

Save your tricked out guide rod money and buy some ammo and just go shoot or donate it to a charity.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010