close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Schematic for installing fan in a Dell 4100?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Romadoc, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Romadoc

Romadoc

Is there a location for obtaining a schematic for installing a substitute fan and heatsink on a Dell 4100? I obtained the part about 2 years ago from discountelectronics.com. I had to go there as Dell stopped supplying the item some time before I needed it. Part is listed as SKU #147 Dell Optiplex Dimension PIII P3 socket 370 Heatsink & Fan/

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

A schematic?.. :) There should be instructions with the Heatsink

Its pretty easy actually. When you slip the old one off, you'll probably see exactly how to do it.

1st, Make sure to put thermal compound between the CPU and Heatsink. If your Heatsink didn't come with it, do not skip this step, find a place online to buy it, or a local computer store(CompUSA usually has it, Best Buy usually does not)

After applying the thermal compound, you'll notice on the bottom of the heatsink, a long clip type thing, that goes from one side of the heat sink to the other. Along the sides of the Processor Socket, you'll see small plastic tabs. Slip the hole on one end of the clip, securely under one of these tabs. Push the heatsink/fan flat onto the processor, and then push the otherside of the clip down, and latch it onto a tab on the other side. I can generally get the second side secured with my hands, but I've saw folks that can't(naturally, its kinda tight because you have the otherside secured), and have to use a small screwdriver pry out the clip slightly, then push it onto the tab.

IGF

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The Dell uses a chassis mounted fan and not on the heatsink.I think the heatsink clamp is unique and not very changeable.The fan also plugs in to a sensor on the motherboard and changing to a non-standard will cause a warning on the Dell.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This is the exact reason I hate Dell and always recommend building your own if you can.. Don't they use some kinda funky power supply also?

IGF

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yeah the older ones like the Dimension 4100 use unique powder supplies.By the time the power supply goes it's time for new PC anyway.The older Dells hold up fairly well.I think either the 4100 or maybe the 4300 had built-in,on-board ethernet that would crack the solder connections at the motherboard and require a PCI network card to fix it.Using a PCI network card will place less stress on the motherboard anyway.