close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scent Lock

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Ralphumor, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Ralphumor

Ralphumor NRA Life Member

I will say that I have never killed a BIG Buck..That said why do people buy this expensive scent lock things? I do not see any point. My twisted way of thinking is this.

#1 Where I hunt there a people all around. Deer smell people all the time. It is out in the country BUT people live there and spend time in the fields working or what have you.

#2 We as animals ourselves breath. We inhale and exhale oxygen. Surely what we exhale has a human scent. That suit that your wearing doesnt cover that.

#3 My uncle has killed Large Bucks and all he ever uses is a onion that he places in his pocket. He is not trying to cover his scent he knows that a deer can smell through that. He says it is just a natural scent.

I do not claim to be an expert. Just curious if anyone else feels the same way I do or will tell me the what made them spend the extra money on scent lock. Thanks :cool:

2. Roger C

Roger C

You'll get busted by a deer more often over scent than anything else, unless you're walking around shouting or something. Scent, then movement, will send a deer out of range pretty quick. Scentlock is great stuff.

3. ucsdryder

ucsdryder

If you are rifle hunting, scent block isn't as important, but if you are bowhunting, scent block is the most important thing you could have. I just got back from bowhunting for elk. I stalked within 80 yards of a big 6 pt bull, but the wind shifted for a split second and the bull and his 10+ cows were gone instantly. They never saw me, never heard me (I was standing still when the wind switched).

GM

4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

If you play the wind correctly, you don't need it. But the wind is unpredictable at times, and most of us aren't perfect hunters. So I'd say if you got the money, go for it. It may make a little difference but it won't make you a great hunter. It's too pricey for my likes.

5. muddydog

muddydog

all my deer are killed within 20 yards..usually..even with a gun.

i've been seriously thinking about it getting some of the newer types, that dont require all the care.

that liner system looks promising.

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Your #1 & #3 questions are BIG ones that I don't have time to “write the books on” right now, (too many variables to look at) but #2 is an easy one.

To have success with descenting it is either ALL or NONE... ‘some’ just ain’t going cut it. Wearing a scent-suppressing jacket without scent-suppressing pants would be pretty silly, right? Well the same goes for wearing the scent suppressing jacket & pants without wearing a scent suppressing facemask, hat & boots!

(FYI, the face & head are where a LOT of your scent it produced!)

Nearly all of the people I talk to that have tried scent suppressing cloths & say it doesn’t work were not using the cloths correctly… scent suppressing clothing is only one part of the descenting “picture”! For instance, you can’t dress in scent suppressing clothing in your home & then expect no game alarming scents to get on its exterior.

One thing is for sure descenting is not for the non-committed! Besides the added cost of descenting I’ve stripped down to my underwear in 2 feet of snow with the temperature in the minuses to keep the game alarming scents away from my hunting cloths… I also store all of my hunting cloths in big plastic containers (with “baking soda”… a trick I learned.) when not in use… those take up a lot of room.

Another thing that is for certain is the fact that I see more deer (better bucks included) now that I’ve started controlling my scent… before controlling my scent who knows how many deer I never saw because they scented me before I ever knew they were even there!

One thing I see overlooked a lot about the benefits of scent control is for the huge roll controlling your scent plays while getting to & from your hunting location. (I believe this goes hand-in-hand with the above paragraph.) If I had to choose I’d rather be stinky while in my hunting spot then leaving a “stinky trail” to & from my hunting spot… “stinky trails” are more then likely going to alert more deer to your presence in the area.