Home > Serving America > Firefighter/EMS Talk > SCBAs, used

SCBAs, used

1. I am thinking about buying a used SCBA for use in some very dusty environments at home. Has anyone here ever done that? I was thinking about a decently priced pack, tested, mask, and couple of bottles that are well within date. I will check with a local SCUBA shop for filling, (I don't know what departmental policy is regarding this, as we have several filling stations, but I do not want to take a chance). I have used several brands in my career, so I am not picky. Thoughts? Suppliers?

2. I’d go aluminum cylinders. The carbon fiber are lighter but there’s a reason that there’s a 15 yr max life usage per DOT on those. The aluminum are good for life as long as they can pass an annual flow test and 5 yr hydro.
    Seems excessive and expensive for occasional homeowner usage. Would an N95 half mask or P100 on a full face not work?

3. My concern is with some old ceiling with the high probability of asbestos. I was taught that there is nothing but self contained air that will work. I have N95s and lots of regular dust masks around for normal use. I grew up with childhood exercise induced asthma, and deal with COPD pattens as well as asthmatics all the time at work. It is a horrible feeling that I remember, even though it was many years ago.

On edit, I will check if there is a full face that will work for light use.

4. Go here for some info:

https://www.health.state.mn.us/comm...d to purify,for filtering out asbestos fibers.

Respirators are used to purify the air you are breathing. The most common respirator is a half face, dual cartridge respirator. Respirators must be equipped with HEPA filtered cartridges (color coded purple) or an N-100, P-100 or R-100 NIOSH rating. These cartridges are specific for filtering out asbestos fibers.

Paper dust masks available at hardware stores do not filter out asbestos fibers and should not be used. Half face respirators cover the nose and mouth and consist of a silicone or rubber face piece, elastic head harness and filter cartridges.

5. I have used hobby-air with good results. I have used old scba and survive-air cougar but for simply working in or around a shop, I would use hobby-air

6. Thank you all. I was hoping to avoid the full on SCBA, looks like there is hope!

7. Your local fire Dept would be where I would get the bottles serviced. All the asbestos abatement crews I've seen use the half masks with specifics filters and Gogles. I would look into a fullface respirator. Try to find an old mcp2 at an army surplus. I think the main thing is the micron size in the element. I bet you could find a foreign military gasmask on sports mana guide or something. If it can filter out a nerve agent, I think it will get the asbestose

8. Thanks all!!!

9. IMO a hose to a mask from a airless (correction OIL free) compressor located in safe location...
    I recall a rig ment for cleaning bins. There was a unit that sat outside. (Like old style hair dryer) hose comming in to belt, then up to helmet. So your face, head had positive pressure air from outside. Guy was using it in a soybean bin of rotted beans. I remember the Ammonia smell 5' outside door was unbearable.
    He liked it because it kept his head, body cooler, cleaner.
    He had it go down his shirt so he had a breeze over neck, chest.

10. LOL!!

I think you meant an oilless air compressor.

11. Yep. Otherwise it would be a short job.. I'm pretty sure the spell, correction thing helped with that...

12. Since it sounds like a really dusty work situation, I wouldn't go for SCBA.

SCBA will only last you maybe an hour max? And that is if you are just sitting. If you are actually doing something, that "45 minute" bottle drops to 30 minutes, and a 30 minute bottle drops to 20 minutes. You will be switching out bottles constantly.

Unless you know the guys in the local fire department, I would be surprised if they would service and/or fill your air tanks.

From what I've seen, the asbestos removal companies all use fancy looking filter masks.