close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SCBA mask - straps or net?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Tvov, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Tvov

Tvov

What do you prefer for your SCBA mask, the net or the 5 straps?

We now have both in our dept. A few years ago we updated the majority of our packs, and spent months trying different brands and setups of packs. We have had masks with the 5 straps for basically decades, and maybe just because we are used to them, most of us found that the 5 straps held the mask to your face better... So we went with the straps for our new SCBAs.

We got our new engine this spring, and the people on the engine committee obviously like the net masks, because all the packs on it came with nets.

Just curious what you all think about the two different setups.

One of the things I hate, besides people ordering FD equipment (or changing what had been decided) without telling the company, is having mismatched equipment. So I guess I will just "go with the flow" and now push to have the rest of the packs updated (again) so that everything matches.

I am thinking about this today, because we had a live burn drill this morning and the two different packs were being used.

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

3. fireguy129

fireguy129

We were lucky enough to get awarded new scba a few years ago in the fire act grants. We went with the new scotts, the nxg2 or whatever. We really like them. Haven't heard any complaints on the mask netting. Pretty comfortable, it doesn't put a lot of pressure in any one point, pretty evenly distributed.

4. Tvov

Tvov

We have the same Survivair system you do, Fireman1291, but with the two different style masks (at least how they are held on, the masks are the same). As far as I know, we are the only department in our area that has Survivair, everyone else pretty much has Scott.

From what I understand nowadays the SCBAs are mostly interchangeable, tanks and other connectors are similar. I guess my dept went with Survivair decades ago because they cost less at the time, and so we just keep updating the packs as time goes on.

Thanks for the responses!

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

The nets are MUCH more "hair-friendly".

Scott

6. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

We have Scotts w/ the net. Years ago I worked at a small vollie dept w/ MSA's that had the regulator on the belt and the 5 straps. I had to re-adjust the straps every time I put it on. W/ the net, I just loosen the bottom two and I'm good.

7. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

We just got the MSA nets.... used to have the ol' 5 straps. Must say the net's are a lot easier to get on IMO. That, and the masks have a nice HUD... just glace to the bottom right of your mask to see 1-4 bars (1 red bar, 2 yellow bars, or 3-4 green bars) to get a quick 25/50/75/100 guesstimate of how much air's left. The actual regulator itself can display PSI or est. time left. No more having to pop the regulator when you disconnect from the face piece, or line the regulator and face piece up exactly either. Amazing how the little things can make life easier...

...on a side note, reminder: CHECK YOUR BOTTLE ONCE YOU GET YOUR RIDING ASSIGNMENT. I'll admit I, like most of my co-workers, get a bit lazy about that sometime... morning crew assured me they'd checked the engine out so I was like "ok", checked my gear, and went upstairs. Bells go off for a possible fire. We haul @$$ to the engine, and off we go. Guy next to me starts putting on his SCBA... and notices the waist strap is missing a buckle. About that time the first due engine AOS and reports smoke coming from the building. We had 7 on the engine, and had we arrived on scene with an actual working fire (first in engine knocked it with a water can) guess who on the crew would have been assigned lay-out duties (for those of you non-firefighters, lay-out involves jumping off the engine when it reaches a hydrant, and connecting the supply line to the hydrant... not a very exciting job, but one of the ones that doesn't require a functional bottle to do). That's the last time I take someone's word that my bottle's good to go (I learned the lesson about my gear on a vehicle fire when another crew member found his gloves missing). Stay safe out there!

8. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

I took the word of someone else and didn't check a bottle one day. Hopped off the engine at a car fire and had 1/4 of a bottle. I was not a happy camper. I told myself that if I didn't check it than it didn't get checked at all. I've been driving lately, and I check everything, even if someone else has already done it.

I had to top off several bottles last shift too.

On another note. How many departments out there keep 2 packs on the medic and how often do they really get checked.

9. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

We keep 2 SCBA's on our medic units, and I personally check them (both) every time I'm assigned to ride it. Can't speak for my co-workers, but I doubt they get checked that often. Once a week they should get checked on the full-daily run-up's were supposed to do, however.

10. D25

D25 The Quick

I really like the whole Survivair set up, including the net.