close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

scat mats, do the really work?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Jaegergirl, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

since my dog is not allowed upstairs where our bedrooms are at, he likes to lay down at the bottom of the steps in the living room. we have a lighter carpet (which we got before we even thought about getting a dog) and he is ruining it, not by having accidents on it but by simply laying on it. no matter how much i steam clean the carpet it is always darker where the dog lays.

i recently purchased a small throw rug to put down which helps the carpet but doesn't help the bottom step that he lays against. my husband suggested a pet bed but because my dog is so big (he's a 100 lb rottie), it would be in the way. i understand that he likes that spot because it has a perfect vantage point... we have a split level to so he can see the front door, the sliding glass door off of the kitchen and the stairs going down to the family room. the kitchen is right next to the living room and it has pergo flooring which would be perfect for him because he could still have the same vanage point, he just wouldn't be on the carpeting. it is not feasable to put up a gate because the entry between the two rooms is so big so i'm trying to come up with a way to train him to stay out of the living room. i did some searching online and found something called a scat mat. it's a device that emmits a small "shock" if the animal steps on it. i've also seen something that works just like the invisible fence but it's for indoors. i was just curious if something either of those really work or if anyone has another training method i might try.

a simple solution would be to crate him (actually we gate him off in the laundry room when we are gone for several hours) but that doesn't solve the problem because he'd have to be crated 24 hours a day and that's not fair to him. i'd rather come up with a way to train him to just stay out of the living room.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

:)

2. G36.45

G36.45

We have a dog gate that extends out to about 6 feet.

3. Jaegergirl

i mentioned the 6ft gate to my husband. he doesn't want to use one. we finally have all the baby gates down from our son and he likes it that way. it would be an ideal way to keep the dog out, however.

thanks for the suggestion. :)

4. BishopA.P.

BishopA.P. Member

Yes, the Scat Mats work! We have a 50lb Siberian Husky- the first time he stepped on it, he knew somthing was wrong, the second, he knew it was coming from the mat. Now we don't even need to have it on. Bonus- you can get plastic runners that look like the scat mat, and have additional protection (decoy mats!).

PS- They also work on humans- works better than coffee in the morning!

5. Jaegergirl

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to spend the $$ on them if they are not going to work so it's good to hear from someone who has used them. Did your dog ever try to jump over it or is it wide enough that it's not possible?

6. BishopA.P.

BishopA.P. Member

No, for some reason my dog will not jump it- although he is a jumper, and it would be very easy to do. I'm actually a little suprised that it works as well as it does. Good luck.