Scary stuff ...........listen to this one

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WINGS, Aug 15, 2007.

1. WINGS

WINGS CLM

I'm posting this for my aviator friends. If you’ve seen/listened to it before, sorry. I had not.
    UAL knows eventually they screwed up and tried to tell to ATC. USAir sensed something was wrong (there’s that “situational awareness” we’re taught to cultivate) and tried to tell ATC.

ATC was clueless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvgSS6kBdU

2. IslandHopper

IslandHopper Guest

That transcript / audio was used for several years in recurrent training classes at most airlines... we do TRY to learn from our mistakes.

3. J. Parker

J. Parker

Air traffic safety on the ground or in the air is the responsibility of both the controller and pilot. I found out when egos are put aside and pilot and controller work together the skys are pretty damn safe. It's a team effort between pilot and controller. More than once a pilot saved my bacon because my eyes couldn't be everywhere at the same time. Unfortunately, runway incursions happen....work together with air traffic control to see that they don't.

At FL290 relax and enjoy the calm.....below 10,000ft "always expect the unexpected". When you're on final I'm in the tower trying to figure out who's on first, what's on second, who's that flying the wrong way on downwind and why hasn't that B737 rolled yet that was cleared for takeoff three minutes ago.

I retired in '98 from air traffic control and I gotta tell ya it was a GREAT job. I also met alot of great pilots along the way. I married one of 'em.:supergrin: