Scanner for NASCAR and local Police?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mattyk6, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mattyk6

mattyk6

I'm not sure where else to go for information, so I'm posting here.

My wife and I will be attending our first NASCAR race in September at Fontana. And what with a couple occurrences over the past couple months, I want to get a police scanner to keep an eye on what is going on in the neighborhood.

Will a single scanner fit both needs/wants?
    Any places that I can go for more info?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Yes a single scanner will fit both needs.

Go to http://www.uniden.com/products/productlisting.cfm?cat=scanners&filter=Nascar

Also check www.scannermaster.com

Steve

3. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I just bought a BCT-15 which works in the car or at home. My friend has a BC246T handheld. Both scanners have software available that lets you program them with a pc as well as control the front panel from a graphical user interface. They are both very good products.

4. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Just be mindful of state/local law regarding portable/mobile scanners. Some states do not allow you to posess a mobile scanner outside of your home.

5. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

And one other suggestion... all the NASCAR races will have scanners/headsets available for rent at the track that are preprogrammed with teams and other channels.

6. sopdan

sopdan

I may be too late, but you'll also want to know what type of system your local police use... ie digital/analog, trunked/conventional.

I can't believe nobody mentioned radioreference.com , they have a ton of info, and a frequency database of ginormous size.

7. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

I've been unimpressed by the specs of dedicated racing scanners. Sure, they'll pick up some other frequencies, but you can see there are serious limitations compared to more general use scanners. Radio Shack's Pro series of scanners is well regarded for entry level scanning. It's also worth noting that most dual band ham radios should pick up those nascar frequencies just fine, though it'll probably be a little tougher to set up alphanumeric tags and such.

8. FN64

FN64 Guest

Make sure ya got a good set of "noise canceling" headphones at the NASCAR event. If the YL wants to listen also you'll need 2 sets and a splitter. Those races are *********g LOUD!!

enjoy..FN