close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scanner apps for iPhone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by railfancwb, Mar 3, 2013.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

I am looking for a scanner app for my iPhone which will allow me to find and listen to local activity. I am especially interested in railroad frequencies.

Any one know of any such?

The ones in the App Store all appear to offer only preselected signal sources.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover Ham Radio Nut

If you are looking for an App that will turn your I-Phone into a stand-alone scanner, that won't happen. Cell phones use a dedicated set of frequencies in a digital format. They do not have the ability to "listen" to other frequencies like a scanner does.

About all you can do is use an App that has a feed from a scanner in the area you want to monitor.

3. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

5-0 radio is great. It has hundreds of scanner feeds from all over the world, bonus music feeds, and works in the car. My son (12) and I listen to our local police while having ping pong battles in the evenings and we hear all sorts of stupidity. It's addictive and beats local radio while sitting in traffic. There are others like it but I can vouch for the easy interface and usability of 5-0 radio.

4. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Smartphone connects to scanner app, scanner app provides live scanner feeds, phone frequency has nothing to do with it. It works on iPads and iPods that don't have a cellular frequency at all.

5. GMAN12

GMAN12

5-0 works as Dan-ntx said. Go to the app. store and search for "Police Scanner" it's free.

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Right, but it's not a stand alone scanner. Someone has to be broadcasting that frequency to the internet. The OP sounds like he wants to use it like a handheld scanner, which isn't going to happen on any cell phone I know of.