close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SC CWP holder reaching for his gun tasered by State Trooper

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Mar 25, 2010.

1. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

http://www.shelbystar.com/articles/license-45548-armed-office.html

Troopers Taser gunman they say stormed DMV office

Tuesday, Mar 23 2010, 2:31 pm

SHELBY — A gunman stormed into the Shelby DMV and Highway Patrol office on Dixon Boulevard Tuesday morning after chasing another man inside, authorities said.

Troopers said the two men had been involved in an earlier wreck sometime after 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Moss Lake exit off U.S. 74. After the rear-end collision, the gunman got out of his truck and pointed his gun at the other man, troopers said.

The suspect, Todd Allen, 45, of Clover, S.C., is charged with assault with a deadly weapon, resisting a public officer, assault by pointing a gun, possession with a weapon on state property, armed to the terror of the public and reckless and careless driving, according to the Cleveland County Sheriff’s Office Web site. His bond is set at $10,000 secured.

The other man, Gary Long, 49, of Dallas, fled the scene and raced to the Highway Patrol office in Shelby, troopers said. Allen chased the victim into the office, which also houses the DMV.
    Long asked DMV officers for help as Allen, in possession of a handgun, began to yell, troopers said.

“We hear the commotion, the yelling and screaming,” said Trooper Phillip Glover. “I have never known anyone to chase a person in here with weapon into a patrol office.”

Tasered
    A small group of people fled the lobby and troopers from the next office entered and commanded Allen to get down on the ground. Allen did not comply and reached for his gun, holstered on his waist, when troopers Tasered him, Glover said.

“He went down to the ground and we secured him,” Glover said. “We were blessed that there were not that many people here today. He (suspect) was on a mission to get that issue resolved.”

Glover said the DMV office is usually busy at that time and it was unusual that four troopers were in the office and not on the road. He said they were fortunate to have that many officers on hand. “Running into a building with a rage, that’s serious business,” Glover said. “It was road rage that he kept the entire time.”

‘Sniper’

Allen, troopers said, had a South Carolina concealed weapon’s permit.
    “Once you come on state property it is not valid anymore,” Glover said.

Shelby resident Beth Bailes had an eerie feeling Tuesday morning before heading to the driver’s license office. She decided to wait a bit before going to the office.

“I was freaked out,” Bailes said as she pulled into the parking lot. “They were just searching the truck. I know I saw a handgun.”
    Bailes said she didn’t understand what happened but an officer told her the office was closed.

Bailes came back an hour later to get her license renewed and found out what happened.

Bailes read a sticker on the window of the brown Ford F-250 truck that officers said Allen drove. “Sniper – No need to run you’ll only die tired…”

“What a sticker to have,” she said.

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

They should have just shot him.

3. pal2511

pal2511

People are to worried now a days about law. Suits

4. OKGlocker

OKGlocker Geezer Member

Yep, just thin out the gene pool a little...

5. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Well the gun pointing is just hearsay.(that charge will be droped) The gun was holstered when he followed the guy into the DMV. Looks to me like the LEOs over reacted just a tad!

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

You are so correct. I mean, he just walked into a prohibited place after someone, thought the troopers said. "Could you show us your handgun," and the troopers zapped him when he went to comply. Sounds like entrapment by the troopers, doesn't it?

7. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

You have no idea what you are talking about.

8. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

Fixed it for ya! He reached for his holstered weapon, according to the story. He's lucky he's not dead.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

That is like thinking that someone says someone else tried to rob them at gunpoint and they ran away instead of complying that the DA is going to drop the charges becasue the claim is just "Hearsay".

The Both persons actions lend credence to the claim. The "victim" fled the scene to a DMV office (where Troopers apparently also have an office) The aggressor followed him entered the premises illegally armed and caused a disturbance, ( shouting) and when confronted by troopers instead of complying with their orders made a movement towards his holstered firearm.

10. ashtxsniper

ashtxsniper TX Open Carrier

Wow ignorance is bliss. I would have shot the guy as I dont carry a taser.

11. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Just to spice things up a bit (because "most" of us know better, but there's still a few on here) -

This couldn't possibly be true, as a person who is licensed to carry a concealed firearm is automatically a good guy, 100% of the time. They never do wrong, much less try to go for a pistol while dealing with police officers who are giving instructions to the contrary. I mean, that little NCIC check that's run by the vast majority of states before they issue the permit guarantees that NO criminal behavior will EVER occur with a permit holder.

:tongueout:

Like I said, we all know better. Sometimes, people go off the deep end. Guy is lucky he wasn't put down by the troopers. My agency doesn't carry Tasers, so guess what would have happened had he busted into our front lobby.

12. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Sad to hear a CWP holder was involved. We're all in this together, and that hothead just makes it harder.

13. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

^This.

There is no excuse for this kind of behavior.

#1. A CCW holder should know better than to escalate and continue a confrontation. Sounds to me like he got "gun muscles".

#2. He is lucky he isn't dead if he indeed reached for his gun.

I would not have shed a tear for this guy if the events of the story are true.

14. GAFinch

GAFinch

15. beala

beala

Huh? Hearsay is if you report what someone else said about an incident. Saying "that guy pointed a gun at me" isn't hearsay.
    Where does it say that the police told him to show them his weapon?

16. OD Green Glock 19

OD Green Glock 19

:rofl:sarcasm.

heard of it?

17. OD Green Glock 19

OD Green Glock 19

i know exactly what she means. i get that same feeling EVERY time i go there. i see why they don't allow people to carry there. i'm against gun control, but i probably won't argue that one. guns in bars, college campuses, churches...sure no problem. guns in DMV, let's not get carried away. the streets will run red with blood.

18. 2afreedom

2afreedom

First of all the guy in the OP is an idiot and he is lucky he is still a living idiot.

Secondly, while I understand what you're saying Mac it really doesn't matter that this guy has a CWP. People with all kinds of licenses and certifications make idiotic decisions every day. You can't blame everyone else with the same license for the actions of a few. If we did we wouldn't have any doctors, nurses, engineers, attorneys, or (dare I say it) police officers. The fact that a small minority of a group is stupid or criminal is never justification for punishment of the whole group. That's kindergarten justice and it belongs in kindergarten.

19. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I would say they under reacted.They should have shot him.

20. j-glock22

j-glock22

valid CCW or not, apparently he ran into the building for some reason or other, thus the troopers racing in after him, so yeah they did the right thing. It is sad though, because stories like this make the rest of the 99.99% of law-abiding CCW'rs look bad.