close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SBSG in Alabama

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by zoyter2, Jan 18, 2010.

1. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I thought my chances of getting a good answer better here than in GNG.

In Alabama, one cannot possess a short barrel rifle or shotgun. Since pistols like the Taurus Judge are capable of firing shotshells, I asked why these are allowed. I was told by someone that as long as the barrel is rifled, it is a handgun, not a shotgun.

This leads me to my question. What would be the law against buying a shotgun such as a Remington 870, WITH A RIFLED slug barrel, and converting it to a Super Shorty?

Any guesses or knowledge?

2. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

http://www.atf.gov/

That would be a negative, or welcome to my agency if caught.

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Wellllllllllllll....................... according to the Alabama Criminal Code

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/CodeofAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

Section 13A-11-62
    Definitions.
    For purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

(1) FIREARM. Definition is same as provided in Section 13A-8-1(4).

(2) RIFLE. Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each pull of the trigger.

(3) SHOTGUN. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(4) SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE. A rifle having one or more barrels less than 16 inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

(5) SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

and

Section 13A-11-70
    Definitions.
    For the purposes of this division, the following terms shall have the respective meanings ascribed by this section:

(1) PISTOL. Any firearm with a barrel less than 12 inches in length.

(2) CRIME OF VIOLENCE. Any of the following crimes or an attempt to commit any of them, namely, murder, manslaughter, (except manslaughter arising out of the operation of a vehicle), rape, mayhem, assault with intent to rob, assault with intent to ravish, assault with intent to murder, robbery, burglary, kidnapping and larceny.

(3) PERSON. Such term includes any firm, partnership, association or corporation.

and an exception to the law for LEOs at

Section 13A-11-63
    Possession, sale, etc., of short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun; applicability of section.
    (a) A person who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun is guilty of a Class C felony.

(b) This section does not apply to a peace officer who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun in the course of or in connection with his official duties.

I wish they would fix this, since you can have full auto and suppressors here.

4. madcitycop

madcitycop

nonsense in GNG you would have received the answer that you should do it because its your right and cops are just oppressive government drones :)

5. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

Trade you open carry in vehicle without permit (instead of the vague and undefined "secure wrapper" phrase) for banning full auto and suppressors. :wavey: Safe journeys on patrol in LA (Lower Alabama).

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The Taurus Judge is banned in CA due to it being classed as a short barreled shotgun. Thompson T/C Contenders also cannot have the .410 barrel here for the same reason.