close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SBC Yahoo DSL users...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, Aug 17, 2004.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Does your DSL bill come consolidated with your phone bill month to month? I'm deciding between a couple of high speed options, and was wondering this, and can't find the answer on the website.

Thanks
    IGF

2. HA[o2]FA

HA[o2]FA

Yes. And if you want the truth, we hate every second of it. SBC has the worst customer service in the world, and as soon as our contract is up we are ditching it and leaving a big FU! I hate SBC. If you have a good alternative, I would recommend it. But YMMV

FA

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

HA[o2]FA, sorry to hear about your bad experience with SBC. I have to say that I am very satisfied with SBC DSL. When initially I couldn't get reliable connectivity, SBC kept trying, and when they ran out of options, they replaced the entire line from the street corner to my home (that's quite a nice stretch), and ran me through a different box. Not a problem since then. Perhaps I am just lucky, but I have been recommending their services to others ever since.

4. 4sarge

4sarge Millennium Member

Not being a fan of SBC/Ameritech, I can state that once the pole/switch work was done by SBC, my DSL has been almost flawless. Yahoo runs the web end and I have had very few problems with them. When there is a problem (rare) they have corrected the problem immediately and have been easy to contact. I have had DSL for over 2 years and could never think of going back to Dial Up. I live in Indy. Hope that I didn't just jinx myself ;)

5. Tvov

Tvov

I have SBC DSL, and have had no problems.

The cost of it is on the regular phone bill, but separated before the total so you can distinguish it from your regular phone charges.

6. primersinmyshoe

primersinmyshoe

I've had SBC DSL for 4+ years. The first year, the modem would lose it's connection frequently. That problem is long gone, I leave the modem (and wireless router) on at night, but I do turn off the computer. I renewed my contract last year and they sent me another modem, NIC card, and phone line filters, plus, I got the low price of $26.95. My download transfer rate is usually a little over 1300Kbps. As a matter of fact, just tested my DL speed at http://www.computers4sure.com//speed.asp? and got 1312.3 Kbps. So, I'm happy with SBC DSL and will renew again when it comes due.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Local opinion, Thanks alot 4sarge. I've had problems with SBC in the past, and I was a bit leary of using them for 'Net access. I'm still debating between DSL/Cable, but I wanted some opinions on SBC/Yahoo DSL. Your opinion as alleviated some of my fears about their CS though.

One other question, can you access your email from Outlook/Thunderbird? Knowing Yahoo runs the web end, I didn't know if they made you go to website and check it(like they do their free accounts).

Thanks
    IGF

8. Tvov

Tvov

In my area, it costs a little over twice as much to get cable internet, assuming you have cable TV already. We don't ( ;P ), so it would cost three times as much to get it for us. If you have the "resources", I would definitely get cable internet.

9. 4sarge

4sarge Millennium Member

I've had the DSL service for about 2+ years and have rarely needed to contact CS. Unless things have changed, you should be OK. I pay extra for a faster DSL connection so I do not get the 26 or 29 $ price.

When I set mine up, I did not DL their software, I use my Browser and my Outlook express instead of theirs. You have/had an option to forward everything to Yahoo mail account and then select forward to your personal account. I did not take that option and have everything forwarded straight to my computer.

I can check my e-mail from the web at Yahoo on any computer but unless I just happen to catch an e-mail in the que, there are none there.

Pro - I didn't think that I wanted their adulterated MS products
    Con - I cannot use their Bulk e-mail Spam filter/Virus scanner or I haven't figured it out yet to allow me to filter but pass the other mail along to me. I haven't called CS for this but may one day.

I have several e-mail accounts with them. One is being spammed badly but had a resume posted on several job resource sites and think that is where the spam is coming from.

Feel free to PM, e-mail or call me for any other or further discussion Larry E. (Indy), I'm in the phone book or check Yahoo for my land line (Taylor)

Good luck and keep me posted.

sarge

10. 4sarge

4sarge Millennium Member

Cable - Tried that route. ComCast sucks or at least for me. Finally was able to convince the wife to let me dump them after the futile attempt to obtain high speed INTERNET access from them. I have Dish (cheaper) for my TV better selection, fewer outages and 0 CS problems. Long story about the Cable/Modem problems