close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saying good-bye to a brother tomorrow

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by emt1581, Feb 10, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Earlier this week a Fire-Officer at my station was checking his business's mail not 100ft. from the station, but due to the snow he slipped and fell into the roadway and was run over by a tractor-trailer. He was killed instantly.

Now this guy was only 45 and was someone I only had the pleasure of knowing for 10 years but holy crap was he dedicated!! He was one of those guys that was ALWAYS at the station, helping everyone out, and when he wasn't, he was helping coach kids/sports teams.

He was a HUGE part of the family at my station. We went through crisis management and debriefings and everything but his death has left such a massive emptyness with everyone at the station. There hasn't been a dry eye there all week and I doubt there will be for quite a while.

Although this wasn't a line of duty death, a new member said it best at the debriefing...when one of us bleed we all bleed.

His name was Mark. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. :ffighter:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

God that's awful.
    RIP Mark. :crying:

3. trifecta

trifecta

Sorry for you your community's loss my friend.

4. 1985 4Runner

1985 4Runner Agitator

5. MedicOni

MedicOni

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

The viewing was tonight. That's pretty much the saddest one I've ever been to and I've been to quite a few. The funeral is going to be even worse tomorrow...bagpiper, between 15 and 20 different stations and their rigs, police depts., etc.... they showed a slide show with with pics of when he was a kid, graduating, helping out at the station, with kids, etc... our station's never going to be the same. :crying:

-Emt1581

7. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

This is so sad, and almost as sad is that a LONG TIME member comes here for comfort and gets 4 responses.
    Okie starts a thread about how he done couldn't get a can of olives open and it goes for 15 pages.

GT is better than this. :dunno:

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

That's ok, I just wanted to let others know of Mark's passing. I wasn't looking for comfort/attention.

Thanks though! :)

-Emt1581

9. MedicOni

MedicOni

Our little forum here is not viewed by as many as GNG or even CT. There are very few of us regular posters in this subforum.

10. MedicOni

MedicOni

It'll get better bro. I've got the funeral for one of the medics we lost on Medevac 17 on Saturday. Not looking forward to that one either. I'm taking one of my services' rigs down there for the procession. Not a happy reason to meet up with fellow EMS and FD professionals.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Sorry to hear of your loss.

You mentioned meeting up with fellow EMS/Fire people. I must say I saw ex-members that I hadn't seen in years tonight!

This guy was seriously loved by many though. I mean, he gave me dating advice when he found out I was going off to undergrad about 10 years ago. He was the prankster of the station. Most of the families would go camping together each summer and this guy actually rigged up a remote control skunk with a working tail and would plant it outside of the showers! He would set off fireworks and ride mini-bikes around the driveway with all the kids. Just a great guy!

I was considering changing stations when we move. But after 10 years and going through this...there's no way I could leave. Makes me want to give more (I'm a volly).

-Emt1581

12. wallytoo

wallytoo FA4AA

May God bless and comfort you, in your loss, and Mark's family in their loss.

13. trifecta

trifecta

You raise an excellent point. I can never predict how far any thread will go. Maybe if more guys will post, it will get more views and attention.

EMT1581 Sorry again about your loss. It's guys like that I expected to work with in public safety. I've been lucky to find a few.

14. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I wouldnt have found this thread had I not done a search after seeing yours and emt1581's avatars.

Me and my families thoughts and prayers going out to families and friends of the fallen. I know they will be missed terribly. I know loosing someone dear to us leaves such a void, that cant be filled.

15. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

16. b52ace

b52ace NRA Patron

Sad. Sorry for your loss.

17. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Sorry for your loss. I do know how you feal. Your friend sounds just like a friend of mine that died a year ago. I'd known him for 27 years. Always joking, would help anyone with anything, VERY dedicated to his job. It's a horrible loss. My thoughts are with you and your department at the funeral today.

:ffighter: RIP

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Just got back from the funeral today...I have to say I've never cried much at funerals but that one had pretty much everyone in tears.

They did the bridge with the ladder trucks at the entrance to the cemetary, bagpipes a bunch of times, about a mile to two mile convoy of trucks there and since he was cremated they had his helmet next to the urn at the plot. Then county set off our tones and gave a final call sendoff. It was really beautiful. But as I said before, it'll be a LOOONNGGG time until our station gets over this tragedy!

Thanks again! :)

-Emt1581

19. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Well, take care Bro. Let me know if I can do something. If I can help the family in any way, let me know.

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks I appreciate it.

I was thinking. Mark was the ONLY one at the station I could talk shop with about guns and such. And the really sad thing is, it wasn't until the last 6 months or so that we discovered each other was into guns/shooting.

I actually started a thread about him a few months ago. It was in cop talk. If you search for it you can probably find it. I asked how a cop or reservist could get his hands on some hand grenades/rockets. Well Mark was the one who had a friend who did just that. Oh how I loved those conversations. I was planning on asking him to join me at the range in the spring. I guess I won't get that chance now.

I doubt I'll find anyone else at the station that is as down to Earth and pro-gun as he was.

-Emt1581