close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Say I want to get in to Dove hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BIG C IN BIG D, Sep 8, 2003.

1. BIG C IN BIG D

BIG C IN BIG D Useless Member

All my friends at work have been going and I feel left out. :( So what do I need to do? I know I'll need a shotgun and shells. I was thinking to be ready next fall I'll need to spend a lot of time on the skeet range next spring and summer.
    Anything else? Special shoes? Insect reppelant? Bird calls? What! :)

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

From the dove hunting shows I’ve seen they have their ammo, their shotguns & park themselves up to a fencerow in a lawn-chair… no camo even! :)

(I know I could hunt them like that!)

I’m sure it all really depends on what type of dove hunting you’ll be doing & at what time of the season it’ll take place… if it’s like ever other hunting season out there, it’ll get harder as it gets later requiring different tactics.

3. noway

noway

at the minimum ( IMHO )

>shotgun ( duh )
    >shells (duh )
    >shells carry bag ( you're pockets only hold so much, carry more than you think you'll shoot better to have and not need vrs need and not have )
    >game carry bag ( for all of those doves you will shoot )

>good comfortable boots that suite you're terrain area
    >non-bright clothing
    ( who don't have to go all camo but don't show up with bright yellow or pink )

>hat
    >sunglass

optional items;

>Binocular ( to see others hunters locations and scouting the field out )
    >small ice cooler
    >a couple of water bottles or other liquids
    >stool/chair or just sit on you're cooler with a pad
    >insect repellant , specially early and later on in the day
    >rain pancho somethings comes in handi
    >band-aid kit ( I always seems to cut my self when I go out )
    >small hanky or rag
    >sunblock or screen if you burn easily
    > a small snack or lunch like a Cornbeef sandwich ;f

I'm pretty sure others can add in, but that about what I carry on a half day or full daya dove hunt and I vary the types and amount depending on how far I have to go and weather and terrain condition. I mostly carry everything in a ruck sack with the shotgun on a sling and like to carry my ice-cooler with frozen water so it can stay cools thruout most of the day.

> Mostly important item, come with alot patience and just enjoy

4. TEAK

TEAK 1*

cliff my man let me tell you something! if you go with the right group of guys it is a blast!!!!!!! i went for the first time this weekend. it was a good friend of mines birthday and about 12 of us went out and shot. it rained and we got sopping wet but it was a blast.
    all you really need is a shotgun, shells, something to carry them in, something to sit on and your license. find the right group of people to go with and you will have a blast. it will take about an hour or two to get the hang of things but once you hear someone shout bird it gets the blood pumpin and you'll start flinging lead and its a blast. just remember to follow through. have fun big guy ;I ;Y

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

While spending some time at the range will improve your odds of success, I wouldn't wait until next year. Head on down to wally-word and pick yourself up a rem 870 12ga or 20ga, a box of 100 #7.5 shot shells, and a hunting license. Then head out and see if you can hit something.

A pair of hog boots helps if it's wet out, but other than common sense dressing for the weather, there's no special gear necessary.

The best part of dove hunting is standing around with your pals talking. If you get a few birds you have dove for dinner. If you don't, you order a pizza.

6. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

I went dove hunting for the first time last week. I borrowed a friend's shotgun and he provided the shells too. I had only used a shotgun once before the previous week. I hit 7 and found 5 my first time. It was a blast!

Definitely go. If you can borrow a shotgun from a buddy, that will give you time to shop for the shotgun you really want.

Scott

7. bbauman

bbauman Millennium Member

What I take:

hunting license
    HIP number
    shotgun
    5 gallon bucket (to carry everything)
    swivel seat on top of bucket (for comfort)
    125 rounds
    ammo belt (holds 25 rounds, really nice to have)
    water bottle
    moist towlettes (to wash hands after cleaning)
    knife (not necessary, depends how you field dress)
    decoys (not necessary but nice)
    camo shirt and hat (not necessary but they do have decent vision)
    ziplock baggy (for the meat)

As you hunt put used hulls in one pile, birds in another. At the end of the hunt, throw hulls in bottom of bucket, then birds, open up used shell boxes to separate birds from other stuff. Throw everything else on top of that.

$0.02.

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I usually just take my son, He seems to get all the birds anyway! :)
    so i still get to eat one way or another!

That 20 year boy out hunts the whole bunch of us.
    I think i taught him 'to well.'

CanyonMan

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Dove hunting is about the only hunting I do. (I don't consider shooting crows to be hunting.) Hard to relate to that "first day", since I got my first shotgun when I was 6. Fortunately, my Dad had the kind of job such that he didn't have to work but a few weeks a year while I was young. We went hunting just about every day during season. (I seem to recall we might have gone a few times out of season) Also did some duck and quail hunting, but don't do either anymore.

Some of my shooting buddies have thought up some "inovative" ways to bait doves, including using cropdusters. (They don't leave the large telltale tracks in the fields that the big trucks leaave.)

Unfortunately, none of my kids give a flip about hunting. (My oldest son went quail hunting for the first time last year and liked it o.k. His business partner owns 35,000 acres in AL.) Maybe I'll said son down for a dove shoot this season.

Oh, I don't do any dressing of birds...always give 'em away.

10. BIG C IN BIG D

BIG C IN BIG D Useless Member

You have to dress the birds? What like lil costumes? Does this varry from state to state? ;P

;)

11. noway

noway

{always give 'em away.}

Hey I wish I was closer to you. I'll take them. I was speaking with my foklks and they told me these guys from work are getting ready for a "Dove Stew" for a tailgate party and they need like 900 dove breast for this stew.

All I can say, "that's a lot of shooting"

12. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

You need:

A .22 single shot
    A CHL badge
    A pair of Jack Tripper jogging shorts(it's hot you know)day - glo orange
    A pair of jungle boots
    8 blue marbles
    A cup of mayonaise

That should do ya Cliffy, you'll be all set to go.

;f

13. WalterGA

One of my hunting compadres killed over 1500 doves in one day, a couple of years ago. That's a little more shooting that I care to do!

14. txgolfer45

txgolfer45

That would only be 1485 more than the daily limit in Texas!!!

Scott

15. noway

noway

1500 doves in one day computes out to;

( calculation based on a typical 13 hours of sun light )

1.9 birds per minute
    115.38 bird per hour

{One of my hunting compadres killed over 1500 doves in one day}

You're hunting friend should be in the guiness world book or records. Crap I would have a hard time finding 1500 doves in a day, heck even seiing 1500 wild doves in a week time would be a task.

The only time I've seen over 1500 within one day has been the soap bar on aisle #5 of my local Super Walmart.

;f

16. WalterGA

In Argentina, there's no limit, an all he got was a T-shirt commemorating the event! Big downer is that you have to buy shells from the guys in Argentina, @ $8.00 per box. No, my friend wouldn't make the Guiness Book of Records for his feat in Argentina.

17. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Those Argentina shoots are insane. I wouldn't even call them hunting. There are so many birds Ray Charles could kill 50 just out of dumb luck.

I can't remember the exact number but those critters eat something in the millions of tons of grain a year.

18. Ookster

Ookster

Walter,

I think I would have gotten bored after about 500.;)

I can't imagine shooting that many shotgun shells in the same day. What kind of load/gauge was he shooting? My shoulder hurts just thinking about it.;g

Ookster

19. noway

noway

froget you're shoulder, I feel sorry for the person that had to cary all of thoose doves and the person that had to dress them.

In comparison to my area, one of the states managed dove field reported 960 doves harvest for 2002 ( thoose that where reported to FWS ).

btw:that was for the whole dove season by all hunters from one field

20. WalterGA

I agree that the Argentine hunts are not for me. The friend of mine was shooting a Benelli 12-ga., probably using 3 1/4, 1 1/8 8, or something like that. He probably used two shotguns. All the guys on the hunt use the strap-on recoil pads.

Sadly, most of the doves are put in a pile at the end of the day and burned, not consumed by anybody.

The doves start coming in early in the morning and come in from all directions, all day long. The guys shoot doubles until they get tired of that, then try triples, etc. They don't, of course, have to plug their shotguns.

Regarding the 960 doves killed on a managed field in one year....there are probably about that many killed on some fields around here in one afternoon...depending, of course, on the size of the field and number of hunters.

When I was a kid, my father killed over 100 doves several times that I remember, including one time when the Feds raided the field. Fortunately for my father, he escaped, throwing doves out the window as he sped away at speeds of around 120 mph.