Say hello to a new pasta rocket owner!!!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jun 20, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

ciao e benvenuto!!! Aprilia Tuono R 2005 in Fluo Red - she is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mmsig229

mmsig229

congrats!!!!She's a beauty. I was looking at a blood red Ducati today...Something about an Italian sport bike that gets my blood boiling...

3. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It came down to the Ducati Monster S4R; in red of course, and this one. After the test ride, it had to be the Tuono R. The dashboard looks like a bad GM car dashboard of the 1980s, but who's looking at the dashboard, right?;g

5. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

6. WERA49

WERA49

Very, very cool! I want one! For some reason, I find Aprilia's more desirable than Ducati's.

^c

7. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

If I had to have an Italian bike, Aprilia or Guzzi would be it.

8. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Very nice. When's the first track day?

9. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

"pasta rocket" ;z I like that! :cool:

Congrats on the new ride. Did you trade/sell the bimmer?

10. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Trade in the Beemer? Nevah! :)

First track day will probably be toward the end of 2005. I gotta break the bike in and get familiar with it before I would be flogging it. I figure probably about two thousand miles seat time should be OK. This is the first truly powerful bike that I've ever owned, so I'm not going to push the envelope. The last one that I owned that was fairly sporting was the 1987 Ducati 750 Paso. And that was thirteen years ago.

Initial impression at 90-miles worth of seat time:

Seating position is great for me. The inseam is a bit high but I can flat foot the left leg no problem and on the ball of both of my feet for parking lot/slow speed maneuvering. The footpegs and foot levers aren't set too far back. The riding position is very close to that of the Beemer.

The engine is smoooooth as booootarrr!!! The counterbalance shaft helps a lot though it does detract from the bike's personality, I think. Power and torque are abundant from 4000-RPM and up. It does not like being under 3500-RPM at all. More on this later.

I have the tech that setted up the bike leaving the suspensions just a hair soft, so now it rides like my Beemer on its harshest setting which is not too jarring but firm. Handling is very neutral. It's not quite as flickable as the Monster S4R or the Brutale but it's also not as twitchy. I think that the factory steering damper really helps here. I took it up to around 85-MPH over some slightly rough freeway and it doesn't get too wobbly when encountering road grooves.

The factory exhaust sounds rather crappy. More on this later.

The triple clamp riser and handlebar makes this thing a joy to ride without having to prostrate over the gas tank. Important for old farts like me:)

Clutch is nice. Not too heavy, not too light. Gear lever is mushy. Supposedly it's because of the pneumatically activated slipper clutch but I don't know. I'll have to ask the Aprilia enthusiasts to see if the dealers (two different reps from two different places) were BSing me.

Rear brake is literally worthless. Quite a departure from my Beemer.

Front brake isn't bad, but not quite BMW's stopping power either.

Dashboard design is bad. It looks cheap and cheesy like a GM car in the 1980s. At night things are very legible but with daylight on, the tach is not readable at all. What kind of idiot colors the numbers with light red? The numerals wash out in daylight.:soap: The digital readouts are large and easy to see though.

So far so good but we'll see how it fares a few thousand miles down the road.

The seat is hard and slippery so I guess I'll have to give Sargent Cycle a call.

Definitely will need an aftermarket exhaust and a chip of some sort. As it is, there is a dead spot at 3500-RPM and at 5000-RPM, this is pretty much right on with what I've read and maybe that's why the bike stumbles a bit at lower RPM. It comes with a restrictor plate in the airbox. Supposedly replacing the factory exhaust with a better freeflow one from either Aprilia Racing or Akrapovich (or similar decent makers) will help with the 3500-RPM dead spot. Removing the restrictor plate and remapping the fuel management system will help with the 5000-RPM dead spot and of course better throttle response and more oomph.

But I'll worry about that later. Gotta learn how to ride this bike first.:cool:

One thing for sure though, people didn't even turn their heads when I roll up in this bright orange red machine. My Beemer gets a lot more attention than this spaghetti burner.

PS It just occurred to me that the reason why the Tuono isn't as flickable as the Monster S4R or the Brutale is that it has the 190-mm rear tire as opposed to 180-mm rear. The Aprilia RSV has 180 rear, and that would have been my preference too. But what the hell, what's done is done.

12. skorpio

skorpio Arsenal? Me?

Had a 2000 Mille R, w/ Aprilia eprom, Aprilia carbon fiber bodywork, Arrow ti shotgun full system, and +1 on the rear sprocket. Lotta fun, seat was a beyotch (worse than my RC51) but was imminently flickable. Lost much $ when I parted with it.

13. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Congrats on the new acquisition. The Italians put a certain soul into their bikes that the Japanese and German manufacturers seem to miss.

Here's my dream "pasta rocket" [​IMG]

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Germans don't put souls into their bikes. They put in characters.:) BTW, MZ of the former East Germany has begun importing into the US although in limiting numbers.

15. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

So? What's the latest word on the latest machine?

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's in the shop...something's screwed up with the rear wheel. It wobbles and weaves and makes some nasty craahhhh sound. I think that the bearing is bad.

That's Italian for you. Thank goodness there's still the Beemer.

17. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Real nice!

Last year my brother bought an Aprilia, I believe the RSV model(sorry, I'm not a bike guy). His is slightly different then yours.

Either way, most people have no clue what it is.

Congrats!