Saw a high speed pursuit today!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Chucktown Mako, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

So, I got stuck at one of the longest Stop lights in Charleston and I was cussing it. After about 5 minutes, across the intersection I see a uniformed officer stop, jump out of his car and throw down a spike strip. The place where he threw it, the BG would have had to take a right to hit it. About 30 seconds later, an old beat up Buick comes barreling down Ashley Frustrate Road with about 6 squad cars on his tail. Driving sloppy, he squeals around the intersection and take the left onto Dorchester Rd, while looking back at the pursuing officers and he almost looses it right there. The officers kept their distance as I watched them drive out of site...
    My adrenaline was pumping just watching it, I can't imagine the officers who were actually pursuing the BG's. I have heard nothing on the news about it this morning, but probably by tonight I will get more details.

The only question I have is the placement of the spike strip. The odds of the BGs taking a right were probably minimal, as there is only one right turn lane with a small raised median seperating it from the 2 lanes going straight/left. If the BG did take a right and hit the strip, he probably would have barreled into the traffic sitting at the light waiting to take a left. Just seems to me with the right placement, I could have all ended right there.

Oh well. It was awesome to see this morning. It made my day. I hope they got the pricks.

Cheers!

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Most of the time people will turn right to get away, it's easier than trying to cut across traffic and make a left.

Maybe they wanted to channel the BG straight ahead (away from downtown, people, into a dead end, whatever reason) so they put the spike strip there for him to see...

3. Chucktown Mako

Chucktown Mako G23

In that case, they would have been channeling him towards Downtown, during rush hour, back towards 2 different Interstates. The way the right turn lane is and raised concrete median, he would not have been able to see the spike strip until it would be too late.

Who knows, just something I have been thinking about.

4. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

a spike strip does not change the course of the target, it punches holes in the tire so it SLOWLY deflates, not explodes. It's like going thru a bump in the road.

If the BG tried to avoid it, that's a different matter...