Save Man's Best Friend from the Dog Meat Trade

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by PMMA97, Jun 10, 2007.

1. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Save Man's Best Friend from the Dog Meat Trade - Say YES to House Bill 2991
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/879609320

Please visit and sign to help stop the dog meat trade in the Philippines. Those who sign will be supporting a House Bill currently pending in Congress to impose stiffer penalties against the dog meat traders. It is urgent that we obtain, at a minimum, 50,000 signatures by June 30, 2007 because we want to place an international spotlight and global pressure on the country and its government.

The dog meat trade, once regarded as an infrequent religious practice, has become a commercialized industry that kills over 500,000 dogs a year! Although dog meat is not eaten by the majority of the Filipino citizens, it is considered a delicacy to certain areas of the country. The handling, treatment and act of violence to secure and sell dog meat is unimaginable and not for the faint of heart.

It is our hope that this community can rally together and sign the petition. We ask everyone to sign the petition, post in groups, e-mail friends and create the international public awareness needed to stop this practice. Thank you.

2. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

THANK YOU PMMA! The dog meat trade is much more rampant than people think. Peole will sell anything for a quick buck. Isn't there a special place in hell for those people? I am supporting the bill and will send support letters. Thanks again for the info!

Rebecca:hugs:

3. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Sorry, I am a big dog lover, but what they do in another country is their decision and their customs. Should people in India tell us to stop slaughtering their sacred cow? How much credence should we give that petition? TEHO, I guess... Don't hate me :)

4. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

I don't hate you, but the argument to let cultures do what they want to do has limits. Some cultures like to marry off young, underage girl to old men who beat them and torture them. Some cultures like to circumcise girls. Some cultures like the child sex trade. Some cultures believe that it is not manly to wear a condom despite the high AIDS and STD rates. Lastly, some cultures do cannibalize their young and their enemies.
    I personally do not support any of the above practices. To the cultures that practice the previous examples, what they are doing is perfectly fine. Do we continue to let them do it? I don't have kids but I know they don't deserve that treatment, and women absolutely do not deserve such treatment.
    I know that killing and eating a dog is not considered as horrific as hurting a child or other human being. I'm just trying to provide examples of certain things that other cultures seem completely at ease with (and many times these are legal practices) that we do not support. We try to stop the child sex trade, polygamy, incest, etc etc Should we stop trying to intervene because these practices are ok in these cultures?
    I'm not trying to be mean. It's a debate. :)

5. 191145acp

191145acp Guest

"I don't hate you, but the argument to let cultures do what they want to do has limits. Some cultures like to marry off young, underage girl to old men who beat them and torture them. Some cultures like to circumcise girls. Some cultures like the child sex trade. Some cultures believe that it is not manly to wear a condom despite the high AIDS and STD rates. Lastly, some cultures do cannibalize their young and their enemies. "

These things are compared eating a dog??? I try not to get invilved in this silly stuff, I guess If I was starving to death and rover was laying there looking at me..................................you would not like me much lol

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Yes, I absolutely agree with limits. My comments are only relevant to animal rights/customs, and not human rights. That's why I chose India's cow as the contrasting example.

The fact is that America's love for pets has been documented to be highly influenced by conglomerates like Proctor & Gamble, General Mills, and other major corporations looking to squeeze every penny out of their products - which is why most mainstream pet foods are made with corn and grain fillers - they don't want any part of the plant go to waste. Husks and other parts not fit for human consumption go into Fido's bag of food.

These companies have heavily influenced the American psyche - essentially telling us how cute puppies and kittens are so we buy more and more. If we check back in history only a hand-full of decades, pet food in its current form did not exist during WWII. The post-WWII era brought on a human population spike, thus needing a new technology to feed said population. Technology in agriculture changed dramatically; free-range ranching was replaced by what we have today; corn became the staple of just about everything we eat today. With radio being ubiquitous, and TV not too far behind, U.S. corporations essentially manufactured America's undying love for the family pet through broad-reaching marketing.

I had a Korean marketing professor in grad school who told a story of his shock and amazement when he saw dog food in the grocery store. In Korea, dogs were food itself.

7. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Yea, some of us "crazies" actually value a dog's companionship as much or more than human companionship, so we equate eating a dog with eating a human. I'd eat a human if I was about to die, like that soccer team was forced to do. I'd also eat a dog if I had to. I guess if people in Korea and other countries have no other choice than to eat dogs, I will live with it. I would just hope that they are not selling dog meat to other countries and calling it some other type of meat. It worried me when Puff Daddy had to pull all of his fake fur jackets in his clothing collection because the fake fur was actually dog fur. I just hope that we aren't getting lied to elsewhere. I would prefer to know what I am eating, that's why I try to stay away from fast food.

8. gemo

gemo

Oh come on. If they want to eat dogs, let them eat.
    This so close to what PETA says about people eating cows.
    Now if eating cows became illegal to eat because they became people's pets like pot belly pigs where in the 80's and 90's I'd move out of the county to mexico.
    Are not certin animals breed for eating and some for pets.
    I know in most asian countries they only eat certin breeds of dogs.