close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Savage Rifles ROCK!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by gunsnhoses, Jan 18, 2010.

1. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

I decided to move up to a bigger caliber than my .223 for longer range shooting and deer hunting. I decided to go with Savage again since my .223 is so accurate. Shortly after Christmas I purchased this basic Savage model 11 in .308. This is the non-accutrigger and non-accustock model, nothing fancy, just like my .223. I topped it with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 in Leupold steel one peice base and rings. Well, I guess you don't need all that fancy stuff for accuracy. Savage makes a great rifle no matter what model.

After sighting her in here is a 3 shot group at 100 yds using Wolf 150 grain FMJ:
    [​IMG]

And this is a shot of the tack driver:
    [​IMG]

Imagine if I used target ammo!
    I though about eventually upgrading the stock and trigger, but I don't think it would do much more for me.
    I plan on getting out to the 200-300 yd. range soon and stretching her legs a bit more, but I think this is a very good start.

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

I cannot stand the accutrigger triggers. IMO the standard trigger that Savage offers is better than the accutrigger, especially after it has been tuned by a competent smith.

The stocks that come on those things are trash. A HS precision or Bell and carlson will look and feel better and may shrink groups a bit it installed properly. But, for a meat getter you can do without.

3. dad1

dad1

I just picked up a Savage model 10 about amonth ago for my daughters to deer hunt with. Pretty much the same gun but with a wood stock and it's a 7MM-08. Basicly a necked down 308. It was a combo deal from Savage that came with a Bushnell 3x9 scope and has the accu trigger which I like. They shot tight groups with it right out of the box. I really like this little rifle for them because of the light recoil. They are small framed young ladies and this caliber works well for them. I would buy another Savage in a heartbeat. (If only the wife would let me) Congrats on yours.

4. raven11

raven11

great group! at first i couldn't belive you didn't do a single thing to increase the accuracy bit add a scope

5. soulless

soulless

savage rifles are awesome.. i got 2 17 hmr's by savage and planning on getting a tactical 10FP with a choate stock 308 win

6. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Congrats. I don't think match ammo would make much of a difference at 100 yards, but you'd see the groups hold up better farther out for sure...

7. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

I have a Savage 114 in 30-06. It is the best bolt gun I have ever shot. It has the Accutrigger, which I love. I guess some folks dont like it? It takes awhile to get used to, what problems did you encounter with the Accutrigger?

8. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Try some better ammo and you'll probably get em all inside the quarter.

9. doolyd

doolyd

I have the accu-trigger and I really like it. I can shoot MOA all day long with match ammo.

Mine really likes Black Hills 168grain but it is expensive and hard to get so don't go trying to find any. If you do, forward the information to me and I will take care of it. :cool:

Wolf is junk but ok to get it on paper, switch to 168gr for 100-600yrds and 175 for 600-1000yrds depending on wind speed and what not.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  10. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

Yours is a very uncommon sentiment in regards to the Accutrigger. Most love it, as do I.

The stocks? Not much really available for <$400 rifle packages, but I do agree that far better stocks are out there. For Joe Average Deer Hunter a HS or B&C is a waste of money.

I have a Savage FP110 in .308 that holds 1 moa or less out to 1000. It has the stock Savage stock. Sure a hi dollar stock would smooth that out a bit, but not for a low dollar trigger puller like me. :supergrin:

11. fgutie35

fgutie35

I have a model 112BVSS chambered for the 30-06 and can shoot groups less than one inch in diameter at 300yds with hand loads.

12. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

I did dry fire a few models with accu-triggers and they were nice, but the non-accutrigger models have triggers that are adjustable. I think I have mine down somewhere between 3-4 lbs. It breaks clean and feels good. Maybe an accu-trigger would help, maybe not.

13. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Bingo. Most people complain about the factory set trigger that is over 6 pounds. When adjusted down most regular triggers feel better than the accutrigger although I have seen one or two with the standard trigger that had a lot of creep.

14. Brucev

Brucev

A well made properly stocked rifle with a good crisp trigger and a good quality scope is a joy to own and use. Your Savage Model 11 certainly fills that bill. Take time to dry fire your rifle. Practice dry firing from field positions you will most likely use when you are out hunting, target shooting, etc. Your new rifle should give you an immense amount of satisfaction for many years to come. Sincerely. Brucev.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

was that with wolf gold or steel cased wolf ?

16. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Steel cased.

Thanks you Brucev. I also have a Savage in .223, both rifles have already given me much joy. I will certainly have more joy when I bag my first deer with it though.:supergrin: