Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I sold my only rifle in .270 Win to fund some other project. That rifle was a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1952 that beat the snot out of my cheek each time I shot it with open sights. Not fun. So I found myself with reloading dies and components but no rifle in the chambering. One day at the local Wally World they had an Axis in .270 for $250 and there was a $30 rebate running as well. It went home with me and so far I’m impressed with it. Accurate and seemingly reliable so far. It is amazing how much rifle you can get today for so little $$$$. Is it perfect? No. But it is one hell of a deal for the money! Wish they made them back in the 70’s when I had to settle with a bolt action 20ga chucking foster slugs for deer.

My casual review:

View: https://youtu.be/cZ0OeH02Axk

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I’m no rifle expert. So I’m not too picky.

The accuracy on my .223 model is great. The bolt was a little “sticky” at first but it’s very smooth now. Don’t get to shoot it too often but it’s a fun gun to shoot!

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I have an Axis in 223 and I agree it's a great rifle for the money. I like the Ruger American a little better but it's also a $100 more.

·
M62/76
12,529 Posts
Savage builds a great rifle...and awhile I can’t speak for the Axis, their Model 110 and 12 years are arguably some of the most accurate out of the box rifles on the market these days.

·
Registered
16,901 Posts
Have 3 Savages, a Scout in .308, a 92 in 17 HMR, and the wife's 92 in .22LR. They all punch far outside their price, especially the 17 HMR. For a 200 dollar rifle with a 50 dollar scope, is a laser beam out to 200 yards.

I really want a Model 10, in .308, already have the Nikon scope for it sitting in the box, bought 3 years ago. 4x by 12x, 40 mm front focus reticle. However, have to be practical about the money.

·
Registered
16,901 Posts
If you get one with the Accutrigger, it should be pretty nice.
All of them do, and the Scout has the Accustock.

The Axis II's come with the Accutrigger, and it is incredible. I have a Tapco G2 trigger on both of my AK's, and 3 of my Mosins have Timney triggers, all great. However, that Savage trigger out of the box is so nice, have mine all set to 2.5 pounds.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Axis, ruger American, and TC compass are all fine rifles. My TC in 6.5cm is definitely a shooter

·
NRA Life Member
5,792 Posts
Awhile back I sold my only rifle in .270 Win to fund some other project. That rifle was a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1952 that beat the snot out of my cheek each time I shot it with open sights. Not fun. So I found myself with reloading dies and components but no rifle in the chambering. One day at the local Wally World they had an Axis in .270 for $250 and there was a $30 rebate running as well. It went home with me and so far I’m impressed with it. Accurate and seemingly reliable so far. It is amazing how much rifle you can get today for so little $$$$. Is it perfect? No. But it is one hell of a deal for the money! Wish they made them back in the 70’s when I had to settle with a bolt action 20ga chucking foster slugs for deer.

My casual review:

View: https://youtu.be/cZ0OeH02Axk
I absolutely agree! Last December I bought a Savage Axis in .308 for $242 and then a $30 rebate on top of that. Great rifle for the money. This is my first .308 and I’m really enjoying the caliber- gonna deer hunt with it this fall.

In addition, the trigger (non accu-trigger) is a crisp 3.5 pounds right out of the box.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I absolutely agree! Last December I bought a Savage Axis in .308 for $242 and then a $30 rebate on top of that. Great rifle for the money. This is my first .308 and I’m really enjoying the caliber- gonna deer hunt with it this fall.

In addition, the trigger (non accu-trigger) is a crisp 3.5 pounds right out of the box.
Savage must have done something to the last batch of non Accu-trigger rifles to improve the trigger. My non Accu-trigger Axis has one of the best triggers I own and I do own a model 111 with the Accu-trigger.
All I did to mine was to screw the trigger spring down a couple more turns and lock-tite it in place. It has no pretravel, a clean break, and probably a 2# or less pull.

Reactions: Kentucky Shooter

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've built numerous rifles on the Savage arms receiver. It's an excellent choice. Never tried an axis, as the receivers are slightly different, but I don't think you'll ever be disappointed with any Savage product.

Mine are mated to shilen barrels, and a few on MacMillan stocks. I routinely take them out to 800+ yards and if I do my part, these guys are tack drivers. My dope goes further, but that's as far as I've shot them. They sport Vortex scopes too. Savage are super easy to work on too, you can do it all yourself. Put a go/no go head space gauge in, screw the barrel in, check it with the no go, tighten the barrel lock nut and you're good to go!

Enjoy and be well. .

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bought an Axis in .243 from a guy I work with awhile back for 200.00. Didn't really need or want it but couldn't pass up the price. Looked brand new, he apparently just wanted something else. When I took it home the wifey grabbed it and I believe that was the last time I saw it. She seems to like it. :dancingbanana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts