Savage 11/111 DOA Hunter XP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ShootingRooster, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Yes, what are you waiting for?!

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, not worth your while.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ShootingRooster

ShootingRooster These are Great Times for Gun Owners!

Actually my plan is to call my LGS tomorrow and see if they can match or come close to this price and hopefully get it from them. I know they carry a lot of the 11/111s there. My last few gun purchases were online and I like to keep in the good graces of the LGS by getting a gun from them from time to time. Although since I have a CPL, they make a nice little profit from a super easy FFL transfer so I don’t feel too bad for them!

garya1961 likes this.
  2. garya1961

garya1961

This was my thinking also, I hadn't bought a gun from them in a while and $20 wasn't going to break me. Basically the only difference was the taxes anyway.

3. ShootingRooster

CDNN has $15 flat-rate S&H and no CC fees so that keeps the cost down, but often after transfers and shipping costs, plus a cc charge, you don’t save much money online. This particular rifle would work out to $350 when it was all said and done. If the LGS can come in around there, they probably have a sale. I’ll need a sling, scope cover, and ammo too, so one way or another they’re gonna make money on this deal. Support small businesses!

4. adamg01

adamg01

Howa has an amazing deal going right now. They are selling a package deal of the Gameking rifle, comes with a scope and Hogue overmold stock that sales for over $100 by itself.

I got one in 7mm-08 shipped to my FFL from Buds for $440. I like it better than my Tikka 7mm-08, especially since you actually get a short-action from Howa instead of the “one size fits all” action that Tikka uses.

Everyone knows the Howa 1500 is the same rifle as the Weatherby Vanguard so they are a tremendous value for under $500.

ShootingRooster likes this.
  5. ShootingRooster

Update: my LGS didn’t have the same rifle in stock so they couldn’t make me a deal. So I go to buy it on CDNN this afternoon...and the sale ended, rifle is $50 more now. I call them up, tell them my story, and they give me the weekend price of $399, and the $100 rebate is good to go. I don’t have a ton of experience with CDNN, but they took good care of me. I’ve had some buddies with good purchase experiences from them too. Very happy how things worked out.

Dave514 likes this.
  6. ShootingRooster

There are so many good deals for rifles going right now. Golden times for gun owners.

garya1961 likes this.
  7. collim1

collim1

With a decent optic that little gun will likely shoot 2moa or less.

You can always upgrade the optic and rings later.

8. Turk3196

Turk3196

Buy it I had a 111 .270 and killed a pile of deer with it. They ain’t pretty but they shoot damn good. I’m actually going to buy a new .223 and 308 soon.

9. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

Edited to say Congrats

10. ShootingRooster

I hope to not have to upgrade the optics or put any more money into this rifle, aside from a sling. I’m expecting this to be a functional hunting rifle and it’s gonna get used. I’ve put down a few white tails with Bushnell scopes before, so assuming everything functions as it should I should be golden!

I’ve got a few nicer hunting rifles, but not a 30-06, and none I can beat up without major concern. I had my eye on a Ruger American, but couldn’t pass up this deal. Even my wife agreed! I took that as a sign.

11. ShootingRooster

And the new hammer is here. Pretty standard stuff. 8EBDF21D-D4A1-4E71-8D63-19A583960BFE.jpeg

12. ShootingRooster

One note of criticism. The mag was a beast to get in the first few times. Seems the release latch isn’t quite right. Popping it in and out has improved it, and there was some plastic junk on the edge of both the mag side and the rifle side of the release. I did some very minimal scraping with a razor blade and took some of the junk off the edge, and I’ll probably take some 2000 grit to it to clean it up a bit more.

For $350 to be in my hands, I’m not too upset. I’ll probably give Savage a shout and see if they might send me a new mag or something. Everything else on the rifle is good to go, screws are tight, bolt is good, trigger works nicely. Assuming it shoots fine, I’m happy.

13. collim1

collim1

Let us know how it shoots. I am in the market for a youth sized lightweight rifle for stand and blind hunting.

My .270 kills me dead, but the 24” barrel and full length stock is not easy to maneuver in a small pop up blind.

I am looking at a Savage, Ruger, and Mossberg. Right now the Ruger is looking like a winner with a 18” barrel in .243