Savage 11/111 DOA Hunter XP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ShootingRooster, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Yes, what are you waiting for?!

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, not worth your while.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ShootingRooster

ShootingRooster These are Great Times for Gun Owners!

CDNN has this deal running, and with the $100 rebate I’m struggling to pass this up. I’ve been looking for a basic 30-06 with a synthetic stock. Was thinking stainless, but for the way I hunt I don’t really need it, and for $300 with a basic scope and an Accutrigger this might be a winner. I know a few people who have this rifle and really like it. What say you, Glocktalkers? Anyone out there have this rifle and care to comment? I don’t need fancy, I need functional.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/savage-111-doa-hunter-xp-30-06-scope-combo.html#.Whnyf7pOmhB

JoeOU1 likes this.
  2. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

If you want it buy it. Just remember that you are buying a budget rifle. I’m not much for Savage rifles but that’s just me. It may shoot decent and will kill deer.

3. Dave514

Dave514

For functional and not fancy, that's a really good deal.

4. ShootingRooster

Yes, I know what you mean. But for $300 with a functional scope...I’ve killed critters with lesser guns. My thinking is a basic big-game rifle that will let me bide my time and save up for a nicer rifle down the road. I usually use a 30-30 lever action for my deer, but I hate taking longer shots with it, even with the good ammo.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Buy it. I like Savage 110 based rifles, which this is.

Here is my Savage .30-06, pics taken last week. As usual, one shot shopping :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

Buy it. Good shooting rifles and you can always dress it up some if you want later.

7. ShootingRooster

My dad likes his Savage. Nice work on the whitetail. One & Done is how we like to do it where I’m from!

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  8. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I still have a soft spot for my old 30-30 Marlins. They work very well for 100yds & under. From a price standpoint it’ll be hard to beat the Savage combo.

9. Alabusa

Alabusa

If you reload and make it a 2 shot gun only, the 30-30 can be lethal much farther than 100 yarfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

happie2shoot likes this.
  10. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I saw a 1 shot kill on a white tail @ 350 yds with a Marlin 30-30 & green box Remmy ammo. The man that did it knew his Marlin very well. Better than I ever will. Edit. Though a certain amount of luck was in that shot the man knew his rifle

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Alabusa likes this.
  11. ShootingRooster

Usually where I deer hunt, it’s 150 yards max for shots. But I’ve been thinking about some new territory closer to home that’s more open with the potential for longer shots. Plus I want the option for a black bear rifle. With proper loads, a 30-06 can handle just about anything I need to down.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  12. ShootingRooster

13. JoeOU1

JoeOU1

Savage rifles, especially their cheaper models, are good to great on the accuracy scale.

14. JoeOU1

JoeOU1

15. plp

plp

I could never justify in my mind spending the money a really, really nice rifle commands. I would love a Howa or Tikka, especially one chambered in 7x57mm, coupled with a high end scope.

My late BIL spent the money on a Blaser, that with the Leupold scope ran him more than I've paid for a lot of cars and was within 5 grand of what I paid for my first piece of property.

He never shot it, other than at the range, instead took a Mauser he paid 75 bucks for on the majority of his hog and deer hunts. It got dropped in the river once, when the jonboat overturned, was used and abused, and had taken more wildlife than anything else he shot, because he never worried about a little hard use or tough terrain.

We do a lot of swamp hunting here, and your gear is all going to get muddy, or wet.

After he passed, I bought it for the same 75 bucks he paid, and while I'm not a big hunter, would never shy away from using it. I had it recrowned about 5 years ago, as I could never get it to group better than 6 inches at 300 yards, after it was recrowned is a one MOA rifle. Not bad for a 100 year old gun.

Back to the Savage. I have seven, ranging from 17 HMR to .308, and think the Accutrigger is the best thing since sliced bread. For the money, is a great rifle, for a few hundred more, would STILL be a great rifle.

One suggestion, when cleaning use a torque driver to tighten up the two screws that hold it to the stock, with some red Loctite. I set mine to 12 footpounds, and do that to maintain the freefloating barrel and not overtighten the screws, which I have been told can affect accuracy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The Winchester XPR was designed from the ground up as a "budget rifle" while the savage 11/111 uses the same action as it's more expensive rifles.

Years ago, Remington 700's used to be the most accurate out of the box rifles. Today it's Savage. Savage's accu-trigger also helps with accuracy.

Yes, what are you waiting for?! Go with the Savage.

17. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

The 11/111 is not a budget rifle. It is Savage's main line. The Axis is their budget line.

18. plp

plp

But still not that expensive for the step up rifle. The Axis II comes with the Accutrigger, as Savage realized THAT is their main draw, that you can get the exact same trigger, in the exact same adjustable weight, whether it is a 300 dollar rifle or a 1200 dollar rifle.

And that is an exceptional price for a Model 11, normally a 600 dollar rifle.

19. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Savage, it’s not fancy but they tend to shoot well, there’s lots of upgrade options available and the triggers are pretty damn good.

20. garya1961

garya1961

I have the Savage 111 in 270 win and it's a great shooting rifle.
    I just ordered the Axis in 223. I could have gotten it from Sportsman Guide for $284+transfer fees but I just got my LGS to order it. It cost me $20 more but with the $100 rebate it's still a great deal.

ShootingRooster and JoeOU1 like this.