close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SATA vs EIDE HDD

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Willard, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Hi guys,

I need some help. I ordered a Seagate HDD. I went to install it, and the cable connects are not compatible. My Dell Dimension 4550 has standard EIDE cables. This new HDD is a SATA drive. The data cable and the power cable are much smaller. So, do I need a different HDD, or do I need some adapter cables. Or, a SATA controller to plug into a PCI slot? This HDD is to be a second HDD, so I can't disable the current controller.

Please let me know what I need to do, ASAP.

Thanks!

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

3. Willard

Willard Who, me?

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

You have two options then. Send it back and get a IDE HD or get a PCI card that controls SATA. If this is just a secondary HD for backups and such I would send it back for an IDE. I don't think I would spend the extra bucks for a controller card if I wasn't going to ditch IDE all-together.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

There are SATA-IDE adapters,about $25-$35.There are SATA PCI controller cards,about $50-$100.I think it's best to get an IDE drive.This will work with your system and drives aren't very expensive these days.Seagate does make some nice drives and charges a bit more but I try to buy Seagate drives.A friend has a Dell Dimension 4550 it's a good PC.

6. pyblood

pyblood