1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,731 Posts
google didn't offer any answers.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
There is a Sgt York State Historical Park in Pall Mall, Tennessee. His home, grist mill and grave is there. They probably have the medals or know where they are.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I seem to remember seeing them on his uniform on display at the 82nd Airborne Museum at Ft. Bragg, NC. York was assigned to the "All American" Division back when it was first formed and over 20 years before the 82nd became "Airborne" during WWII and ever since.

But that was about 40 years ago and I'm sure things have been moved around a lot since.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
This intrigued me but I couldn't find a reference for their location. His story has always been an inspiration for me.

Did find out that York's 1917 Enfield by Winchester is supposedly at the NRA Museum.

Meaning that they might know if you sent them an email.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Gray, York swore he used a M1903 (midnight requisition). Any rifle you see is likely to be a representation; nobody knows where the real one is.

York has PLENTY of relatives. If his decorations aren’t in a museum, they’re in a family member’s possession, I’m sure.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I remember an article in American Rifleman years ago where his son was interviewed and said his father told him he used a Springfield. But originally he was issued the Enfield, and was able to swap it for the '03.
His rifle and 1911 were stolen on his way home and no one knows where they are.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,517 Posts
I remember an article in American Rifleman years ago where his son was interviewed and said his father told him he used a Springfield. But originally he was issued the Enfield, and was able to swap it for the '03.
His rifle and 1911 were stolen on his way home and no one knows where they are.
I remember that article. I believe he said he didn't like 'that English rifle' and swapped it for a Springfield the first opportunity he got.

Reactions: flyover

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I watch that movie about 5 times a year. Definitely one of my all time favorites. It would be great to see all his military items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts