close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Santoku vs Chef's

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Wulfenite, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

What is the Santoku good at that the Chef's isnt....or vice versa if that's a better question. The Santoku seems like it would be less versitle if for no other reason than the blade length. but its hard to imagine what it would do that the Chef's wouldent or couldent.

2. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I think it is really up to the user.

I just bought a Santoku couple weeks ago and like it. Its just a different feel in the hand, to me more balanced than a Chef's knife.

3. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

I agree with Str8shootr, it is up to the user. I own a Santoku and three chef knives. After I got the Santoku, I used it a lot. After the newness wore off, I slowly went back to the eight inch chef knive. There really is nothing that a Santoku can do that you can't do with a chef knife, plus the chef knife has a point to pierce things, which you can't do with the Santoku. Str8shootr is also right that they feel different. Play with one in a store and make your own decision. Remember, like guns, you can never have too many knives.

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

I have too many of both.

5. margo

margo

I have both but hardly ever use my chefs knife, most of my use is slicing and dicing vegatables and small pieces of meat. Maybe it's just the convienient size. I could limit my knives to the santoku and small paring knife and do almost all of my food preparation.

6. RCReecer

RCReecer War Damn Eagle

I have both. I use the Santoku more at home, and the Chef's knife more at school. I like the santoku for chopping/mincing, say herbs or garlic. I prefer the chef knive for cutting and slicing. I find its easier to work the curved blade when slicing.

7. OEF_VET

OEF_VET

I've used a santoku, but much prefer my chef's knife. I use an 8" hollow-ground chef's knife, made by Viking. It gives me a better feel than any other knife I've used.

Frank (professional chef)

8. margo

margo

The chefs knife is probably more useful when you know what you are doing. I don't really have my technique down, I watch others do it and they make it look so easy.