close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

santa delivery in a brown/white package

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 26, 2005.

1. noway

noway

ho ho merry deer christmas

Santa sent me a deer wrapped brown and white with a pair of horns for christmas. ;)

I took advantage of this holiday to get some hunting time in and took a spike deer ( some would call it a 4pt ). This deer was shot on public hunting ground. I performed a stalk hunt and took this buck 30mins afters the sun came up. This deer was a young yearling at the most under 14months of age.When I shot him, I had another 2 deer on the ground within 35yrds of him. The single round pierce the brisket where the neck joins the front of the deer. I would assume the aorta/esophagus/windpipe was taken out with this shot. The deer fell over and kicked his back legs and was down. It took over 3-5 minutes for the deer to die. I would have finish him of but I left the finishing round behind in the truck and I was waiting to see what the other 2 animals was going todo. The last deer did take off , but the second animal ( unsure now if it was even a deer ) stayed behind. My dad thinks it was predator chasing the deer I killed and the 3rd animals ( mama doe ) was trying to distract the predartor from it's offspring, either way the weeds and brush was tall and I never did get a 100% identification of this 2nd animal and they way it hightailed it out of the area after the standoff it could have very well been a coyote or bobcat ( my dad feels it wasn't a bobcat ) or been worst a panther ( aka cougar/catamount ) which I haven't see any tracks of signs of in this area but who knows. The more and more I think about it this 2nd item was not a deer or didn't exhibit the classic deer signs. ALL I DO KNOW FOR SURE, was when these 3 animals came bum rushing my position they where NOISEY and specially for deer.

Either way more vension in the refrig and I guess I will be making a pot of vension chilli some thurs or friday
    Most of this deer other than ribs and loins will be donate to people I know. I really need to get a wild hog before the season it end. ')

species = whitetail deer ( buck ) curved spike w/ 2pt per side but less than 1"
    location = highland county, FL public grounds
    weapon = Ruger Super blackhawk hunter 45colt w/4x leupold scope
    ammo = My personal favorite handloaded 310-keith hardcast, cast to a hardness of 16BHN
    power = H110/22.8gr, primer CCI350, brass winchester
    distance = 12-15yards +- a yard or 2
    method = stalk hunt from a the ground behind a down tree stump

sorry about the photo quality

2. noway

noway

the lead pills

3. noway

noway

4. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Man, we talked about you getting 'blood on your gun,' but you keep this up, and there won't be any deer left in Florida! ;f

We'll have to start caling you 'Elmer Noway.' ;)

Good work my friend, go get the hog!

CanyonMan

5. cannoncocker

cannoncocker unknown race

good shooting noway!!!!

6. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Nice one.

Something about midnight black tarsal glands that seems to get me worked up; I think there may be something wrong with me.

7. noway

noway

yeah I know what you mean. ........;)

As soon as I got him back and near the truck that was the first thing to get cutoff. I didn't even bother hoisting him up either my hoist was crapped out so I did him on the ground on top of a canvas sheet. Skinned him pretty quick if I have to say.