San Marcos/New Braunfels Relocation Help

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by nolacop, Sep 29, 2007.

1. nolacop

nolacop

Im looking for a safe area to relocate the family in the San Marcos/New Braunfels area, with close access to I-35. Im looking in the 165k-185k range. Was hoping to find an area or neighborhood where alot of other law enforcement officers reside. Thanks for the help.

2. cwood

cwood

These areas are getting very popular and more expensive but the price range you mention will provide many opportunities. Places on hills with long views are very expensive, as you probably know.

Both areas have very nice qualities and they are very close anyway. New Braunfels is smaller but gets lots of summer and holiday visitors due to the lake and river. San Marcos is a fairly small college town with the problems and opportuni**** that presents. Both have very nice folks and good history and are on the edge of the hill country.

New Braunfels has easy access to San Antonio and San Marcos has easy access to Austin both via I-35. But even Austin to San Antonio is only 90 minutes.

As far as living near other LEO's...no help there. There is no common area. We have Austin PD living in San Antonio and San Antonio PD living all over. Most cities do not require that officers live in a particular area. There are probably a large number living in unincorporated areas too.

Be aware that I-35 can be a very long and frustrating parking lot from time to time. Lots of traffic on it.

If you are interested in IDPA or other shooting sports, there are some good groups around.

Good luck

3. nolacop

nolacop

Thanks for the reply. Are there any nice communities off I-35 between N.B. and San Marcos? I see a little area called "Hunter" on Mapquest, but no other areas close to 35.

4. CleverNickName

CleverNickName Kaiser

There really isn't anything between New Braunfels and San Marcos (that I know of). In New Braunfels, there is a large amount of LE living in the neighborhoods on the south/east side of 35. Look on the map for neighborhoods north of Ruekle Road (Loop 337), on the east/south side of 35. There are nice new homes right on the highway in that price range. BTW, SM is mainly a college town, and NB is much more family friendly, IMO. NB has good schools (NBISD) and is a friendly, traditional small town.

Hope this helps!

5. Rex G

Rex G

Pay attention to elevation and flood patterns!

6. nolacop

nolacop

Thanks ya'll. Is the commute from San Marcos into San Antonio/Windcrest doable daily? Anyone ever hear of daily commutes from South Austin into San Antonio?

7. CleverNickName

CleverNickName Kaiser

It's a pretty common commute, just like people living in NB or SM and working in Austin. I-35 is usually a really smooth drive between SA and Austin.

8. nolacop

nolacop

Wow that surprises me, most people say commuting from South Austin into San Antonio (Windcrest) would be a nightmare.

9. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

I live here in New Braunfels and commute to San Antonio daily. The drive from here to Windcrest area(I-35 and Walzem) takes no longer than 25-30 minutes.
    Also, for the price range you are looking for, you will want to look off of County line rd. in the neighborhoods there. I just sold my house in one and will build in the neighborhood next to it. In a four block range had about 10-12 LEO's. This is were most live.
    As for the Hunter rd area towards San Marcos(Havenwood and Pinnacle) 250k-500K. A little out of my range.

10. CleverNickName

CleverNickName Kaiser

+1

Last time I checked, there are tons of houses for sale on that side of 35. There are a bunch of nice subdivisions to choose from. Not sure if this is too far south, but I have seen many LEO living in Selma and Shertz (neighborhoods right off of 35). There are also a lots of houses for sale there and that area is BOOMING! House values will be going way up.

11. Littleman

Littleman Texas

+1

if it looks like it might flood.

IT WILL FLOOD.

I've seen way too many people build houses in a creek bed thinking that the next flood will be in 100 years and they will be fine. Only to find that next year they are about 10 miles down stream. :upeyes:

12. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Did you get that job that Windcrest PD was advertising recently? Is that why you are looking to commute to the Windcrest area?

To the east of I-35 in NB behind Wal-Mart there are dozens, and I do mean dozens, of cops. Everyone from NBPD to CCSO to officers from several other suburb PDs and surrounding SOs. The take home cars you see while driving through are just the tip of the iceberg. Most agencies around SA/NB/SM don't offer take home cars so there are a lot of officers who live back there but don't have marked cars out front.

Do you want to live in a city? Do you particularly like being in a regular style neighborhood? Or do you just want to be close to I-35? If you just want to be near I-35 and are looking to commute to SA everyday, there are dozens of places to live on both sides of the highway that are far less crowded. I personally don't like being in a city. I live at Canyon Lake and commute about 35 minutes or so. 15-20 minutes on mostly empty back roads get me close to the city on the highway and then I just catch an on-ramp. If you don't want to live in a regular city environment, look into Garden Ridge(living in the actual city is expensive but you can live near it for a decent price), Bracken, Schertz, Selma, Cibolo, and Canyon Lake.

And the only time I can think where the commute from South Austin to SA wouldn't drive you insane would be early in the morning. I could barely stand working near SA when I had to be there at 0700. If you're going to work in SA I highly recommend living South of San Marcos.

Feel free to private message me if you want any more information about the local law enforcement scene or living arrangements.

13. nolacop

nolacop

thanks pm sent