GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unfair Facist
26,179 Posts
Not everyone can bring themselves to pull the trigger when they should. And some can never get over it when they do.

Worked with a guy that had 15 years on the job, great cop, top notch investigator. One night he got in a shootout with an armed robber. The armed robber missed, he didn’t. He quit a week later. He just couldn’t deal with having to shoot someone. Not even when he had no alternative.

·
Registered
28,574 Posts
Perhaps policies and tactics will change in response to incidents like this one.

Perhaps police will go back to staging outside the building and waiting to allocate the appropriate tactical resources and assets; gather mental health care resources on-scene; give the suspect(s) distance and time to consider whether to respond to de-escalation attempts; attempt to engage a dialogue between the suspect(s) and mental health workers ... and get enough ambulances and medics staged to eventually treat people in the building attacked by the suspect(s) during the reduced violence tactical response. (I didn't make this stuff up on my own, but am remembering things I've read from the news, of ideas floated in other states and cities where they believed the police were too violent in their response to criminal violence.)

·
Massive Member
25,264 Posts
Not everyone can bring themselves to pull the trigger when they should. And some can never get over it when they do.

Worked with a guy that had 15 years on the job, great cop, top notch investigator. One night he got in a shootout with an armed robber. The armed robber missed, he didn’t. He quit a week later. He just couldn’t deal with having to shoot someone. Not even when he had no alternative.
Seems easy in the abstract, maybe not as easy in reality. You’d think there’d be no qualms after, he made the deliberate choice, not you.

I worry about not shooting fast enough or shooting too fast so I miss, either giving him time he shouldn’t have had to hurt someone. Really an impossible task to thread that needle under that kind of stress, taking the time you need to get the hits required. Or me flat out missing and hurting innocents.

Still, I think I’d be more motivated to quit because the inherent danger becoming so concrete, didn’t want to risk another encounter I might not prevail, not because I couldn’t bring myself to shoot again in similar circumstances. The illusion of invincibility stripped away. Suddenly it could happen to you. No shame in that.

You never know how you’ll react in the aftermath until it gets there I guess. We like to think we’re rational beings, but are driven more by emotion and instinct than we’d care to admit.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts