close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

San Antonio Leake/Kruse car auction today.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I have been wandering around the floor for about an hour. Nothing epic as far as collector car auctions go but always fun. I am going to bid on two cars and should be here off and on today.

If you have never been to a collector car auction, they are fun. Kind of like a mix and match car show where everything is for sale. Come on down it is at Henry B Gonzales.

2. Rabbi

I predict the 280z to become more and more popular on the collector market. I also predict the Yugo never will... Overheard by a Yugo today, guy1 " that Yugo only has 1700 miles on it!". Guy 2 quiped "that's as far as it got!"

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wish I was a little closer to SA.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I saw an art display in NYC once that was comprised of Yugos turned into various things, like fountains, planters and even a big wind chime. It is the best use I ever saw for those things. The drivetrain on Yugos was Fiat and it was a pretty good engine/transaxle, but the rest of the car was absolute crap.

I used to work for the largest Yugo retailer in the world, which was based in the Pacific Northwest. The new cars always came in with paint blemishes that required buffing or even paint touch up. The paint they used was very bad. It was unusual for a new Yugo to make it in, go through make-ready, do its time on the lot and get sold without at least one trip to the service department, for something that broke. Door handles, interior knobs, rear-view mirrors, antenna, you name it. I even had the reclining seat ratchet brake on one once while I was driving. I ended up laying almost flat at 40mph. I damned near piled that one up.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, but the mention of that little gem brought back some memories. Have fun at the show. Eric

5. Rabbi

the little yugo that could didn't make reserve! Ha! Imagine that. Eric if you can poke your dad with a stick, I just sent him a PM. Myself and some mutual folks were in bs an rememberance mode when one story in particular was brought up and I said "I can get the other side of that story.......haha"

Of course the names should be changed to protect the, ahem...guilty....

6. Rabbi

I'll post a pick of that litle yugo when I get home.

7. Zagato

Zagato

curious what you planned to bid on...

280z? maybe.... not as much as 240/early 260z. got a 260 in the garage waiting for me to rebuild it. the early Zs are the best performance/looks per dollar car out their I think.

8. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

I love those old Z cars. I had chance to purchase an orange 1970(?) 240 and it was in good condition. I was a senior in high school, I wish I would have bought it then. I do not see too many on the road anymore.

Since I sold the 944S2 I have been thinking about getting another sports car, I ultimately would like a 911...but we'll see how the job hunt goes.

Never been to a car auction, have fun.

9. Rabbi

Of course, the quintessential Rabbi pic....My Seal, the Vans...

[​IMG]

The Stage before anyone was even there.

[​IMG]

And the little Yugo that could and didnt because it didnt make reserve. :rofl:

[​IMG]

10. Rabbi

There was a Vette and a truck. I didnt bid on the truck and someone wanted the Vette a lot more than I did....and it didnt make reserve so it didnt matter.

That 280z was just awesome. A very nice driver in great shape. It went for $3000 and that was a very impressive buy. I just dont have any place to put much.

Most everything is a good buy right now.

11. Rabbi

A fair amount of Porsches were at the show. A pile of clapped out 911's from the 80's, although one super clean 86. and 2 super piles of poop 924's. (they didnt even bid up to $2000) No 944's. I am not the biggest Porsche fan but have always had a soft spot for the 944. I still love a clean 944.

12. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

There are some nice ones out there, but as with most cars of this nature (good name and pedigree, but still inexpensive enough for poor folks like me) there are a lot of trashed 944's around as well.

Do you still have your Viper? My friend purchased one and has added on a twin supercharger kit. It dyno'd over 600hp (at the wheels) and I believe that was just with a 5 maybe 8 lb pulley. Anyway he took me for a ride, and holy crap the car was fast before, but now? Wow. Fastest thing I have ever been in.

I'll post some pics of the engine next time I see it, it looks pretty tight.

You should enter those vans into a smelly sneaker contest. :whistling:

13. dreis454

dreis454

14. Rabbi

Two of them, the TT does over 1000 HP at the wheels. A "double supercharger" is not common. Sure it was not a twin turbo?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  15. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Damn, what a sneaker. With one that big just wear one and put both feet in it. Chuck Beck was going to use the Yugo to make the Shogun but they stopped importing. He decided the world's number two contender for leading crap box was the Ford Festiva, so he used that.

16. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

When Yugoslavia came apart back in the nineties, there was some video footage on CNN that I will never forget. It was of a roadblock outside of the Yugo factory. In a vain attempt to protect their factory, employees there attempted to create a roadblock by parking a large number of new Yugos on the access road to the factory. A tank ran over them and there just wasn't a hell of a lot left. That image seemed like a fitting epitaph for those regrettable vehicles. Eric

17. Bill Powell

One evening, across the street from Jerry Moore's museum, was a Shell station. I was there that evening, doing gas station stuff, when a guy pulled in in a Yugo with the gas cap missing.

It was out of my mouth before I could swallow it: I said, "Aw, you go 'n lose your gas cap." At that point Yugo owners had no sense of humor.

18. JMS

JMS 02

Interesting, I haven't heard the Shogun name in years. Pretty impressive specs for back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_zEPRMYK4A

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  19. Bill Powell

Thanks for posting that video. Chuck Beck had a couple of the Shoguns at Barrett-Jackson one year and took me for a ride in one of them. Hell of a ride.

For those of you who are not aware of it, Chuck is the one who developed the Porsche 550 Spyder, the little mid-engine roadster. About 1150 lbs, with a 125 hp or 145 hp engine. I drove one built special with a 212 hp engine.

20. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

1000HP? Holy crap, I can only imagine what it must be like to drive a car like that.

Almost positive it was a twin supercharger. It has water meth injection and the sound is impressive.

I love Porsche's but am not a gear head at all so I may be wrong. I'll get some pics and put them up.