San Antonio is a beautiful city, but I think this schedule is too much!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mrs. G26Duck, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Recently, I returned from a trip to San Antonio, Texas with 43 high school students. I have been doing similiar trips since 1998 but the trip this year seems to have done in all the chaperones! The bad thing is, this trip had more down time and rest time than previous trips. We are all trying to figure out if we are getting old or if this is just an unrealistic schedule. To add to the fun, the stomach virus going around the school, got on the bus with us and 5 kids and 2 chaperones came down with it. Every bathroom we passed got annointed one way or another:upeyes:. Just wanted to share. Is the schedule too much or am I just too old?:wavey:
    WHS SPANISH CLUB San Antonio 2010

ITINERARY

Wednesday, March 10- Wear your BLUE shirt

8:45 p.m. Arrive Wossman High School, check in with chaperone.

10:00p.m. Leave Wossman High School, travel by charter bus to San Antonio
    Thursday, March 11-

7:30 a.m. Arrive San Antonio, TX. Breakfast at Shoney’s (included in cost of trip) 210-599-4944
    8:45 a.m. Leave for Alamo
    9:00 a.m. Arrive at Alamo
    10:00 a.m. Leave Alamo
    10:15 a.m. Arrive Buckhorn Museum
    11:15 a.m. Catch trolley for Market Square Shop, sightsee, eat lunch (you pay)
    3:00 p.m. Depart for hotel. Walk 1 mile. Check in. Unpack, bathe, change clothes
    6:30 p.m. Leave for Dave and Buster’s (included in cost of trip) Bring extra money for games.
    10:00p.m. Leave for Wal-Mart.
    11:00p.m. Leave for hotel. Students are to be QUIET upon arrival at hotel!
    11:30 p.m. Room check by chaperones
    Friday, March 12

7:00 a.m. Wake up call. Eat breakfast and get dressed
    9:0 0 a.m. Depart for San Antonio Zoo
    9:00 a.m. Arrive at zoo. Students will tour zoo and sightsee until 1:00.
    1:00 p.m. Leave for Big Lou’s Pizza (you pay)
    2:30 p.m. Go to Mision San Jose. Students will sightsee and learn about the mission
    4:00 p.m. Depart for hotel Free time for swimming and visiting.
    6:00 p.m. Students will get dressed for dinner at the mall (you pay) and evening activities.
    7:00 p.m. Leave for mall. Students will eat dinner and shop.
    9:00 p.m. Leave for Mirror Maze, Ripley’s Haunted Adventure and Tomb Rider.
    11:00 p.m. Leave for hotel
    11:30 p.m. Room check by chaperones
    Saturday, March 13 GREEN SHIRT

7:00 a.m. Wake up call. Eat breakfast and get dressed.
    9:00 a.m. Leave for Sea World. Lunch is included.
    3:30 p.m. Depart for hotel. Students will change clothes for dinner and Spurs game.
    5:15 p.m. Depart for Rivercenter Mall for dinner.
    6:30 p.m. Depart for game
    7:30 p.m. SAN ANTONIO SPURS GAME!!!
    TBA Go back to hotel and pack for return home
    TBA Room check by chaperones
    Sunday, March 14

7:00 a.m. Wake up call. Eat breakfast and get dressed. Finish packing.
    9:15 a.m. Check out and load bus. Go to WalMart for snacks for ride home.
    11:00 a.m. Arrive San Marcos Outlet Malls. Students will shop and eat lunch (you pay)
    5:00 p.m. Leave San Marcos for included dinner at Furr’s Cafeteria..
    6:30 p.m. Clean bus and gather belongings.
    7:00 p.m. Depart for Monroe, LA
    Monday, March15

TBA a.m. Arrive Wossman High School

ETA: I planned and organized the whole trip while handling numerous additional duties at school, other field trips for the club, went through SACS accreditation and have no planning hour. Oh and my only daughter is getting married in June! I am also in charge of the Secret Santa,the faculty Christmas party, the Homecoming Carnival, the foreign language department, my club activities, school-wide fundraisers, an end of year picnic, and part of Teacher Appreciation week. In addition, I help coach my son's ball team for people with disabilities.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

An hour at the Alamo? Was that enough?

Sound like a cool trip..

I'm not gonna say you're getting old.. but you're not as young as you used to be.. :whistling: :wavey:

3. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Don't go rubbing it in, I already spend too much time with Miss Clairol!:rofl:And no, an hour at the Alamo isn't enough for me; a whole day wouldn't be enough, but we are talking high school kids with the attention span of a gnat, and I had to explain what the Alamo was before we got off the bus. they had never heard of Davy Crockett or Jim Bowie!
    The trip was really cool and I managed to get everything for $400 per kid!

4. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

5. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Thanks, MooseJaw. My kids are inner-city kids. Most have never been out of their neighborhoods. When I start wondering why I do this, I remember things like one of my kids said on this trip. We were driving through downtown SA at night and people were strolling around, laughing and talking; the horse-drawn carriages were there and it was beautiful. One of my kids said, " Why can't our town be like this? This is how it should be!" Now my kids know that beautiful places do exist; now they have something to strive for. Before this trip, they didn't know about these things. I just want them to have something to work towards. So many know nothing but what they have grown up with, poverty, illegitamacy, drug use, violence. They need to know there is something else.

6. racer11

racer11

My daughter is down there at this time with her husband attending the graduation of his sister from boot camp.

They have all been busy site seeing,,,she says there is a lot down there and they may miss the Alamo,,,I told her that is the most important thing to see down there. I'm going down later on this summer and I for sure will see the Alamo,,,,

BTW She said traffic is a mess and the drivers are rude and discourteous as all get out,,,they cut ya off and are nuts,,,,I may not get along with some drivers down there when Iam there,,,we shall see. They get back on Monday.

7. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Actually an hour at the Alamo was about enough for me. I listened to the dude in the red jacket give the "long version" of the battle and events leading up to it, went through the "long barrack" museum, contemplated what I learned, and went to the gift shop. Might have been a bit more than an hour, but not a lot more.

On the other hand, if you didn't get out to "Taco Haven" on S. Presa St. for at least one meal, you blew it.

oh, and I spent a lot more time at Mission San Jose than the Alamo. Very impressive.

[​IMG]

Went to the other missions too. The murals at Mission Concepcion were excellent.

[​IMG]

8. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Looks about normal for a school trip to me. They like to take advantage of all the time at hand. I remeber when I went to Washington D.C. in eighth grade, good times.

9. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Misiion San Jose is a favorite with me and the other chaperones. We scheduled it for later in the afternoon so the kids could enjoy it and we wound up having to cut it because of time constraints. I am going to plan a FAMILY trip so I can see the things I want for as long as I want. High school kids just don't get it

10. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Yeah, but normally, I can sleep it off in a day. All the chaperones I have talked to, including myself, were still trying to recuperate 4 days later!

11. xray678

xray678

That schedule sure looks like too much to me.

12. LMBFlorida

LMBFlorida

Bed check at 11:30 PM and wake up at 7 AM is too short for me. The chaperons probably lost an hour at each end making it even worse.

13. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

Yeah, we lost at least that much. Normally, though, we would have lost more cause we would have left the hotel at 7:30 to eat breakfast. That's why I said it was an easier schedule.
    My concern is that the more empty/free time the kids have, the more trouble they get in. I was very fortunate with this group and they were awesome. Not every group is so well-behaved, unfortunately.

14. Critch

Critch

I love San Antonio. We were down there last August, I really enjoyed it. I could spend a whole day at the Alamo. But my family was more interested in the malls.

15. Mrs. G26Duck

Mrs. G26Duck

They really missed out.

16. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

San Antonio isn't too bad, just don't go during the summer.
    The river walk is a over priced tourist sh** hole, but the Alamo
    is great...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010