close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

San Antonio Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Dec 7, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Wow, it's been a long time since the last match, and will be a long time until the next match, so give us some good stories. It's 17 degrees with 5 inches of snow here in SW Virginia.

2. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Saturday:

Cool (45-50 degrees), cloudy, no wind, and dry (that means NO MUD THIS YEAR!)

I looked like a big turnout for a Saturday A.M, but everything was moving smoothly. The Florida bunch "tore it up" with some good scores. RO's were GREAT, as always in San Antonio, and Ginger the range dog was onhand to greet everyone a tell us how happy she was to see us again.

A very nicely run match! Fun was had by all.

My wife and I rolled back into Houston about 4:30.

3. DannyR

I just received the unofficial Team Sidearmor results, and boy am I ever a happy Coach!

Am/Civ Team Score, 352.26: Donna Clemens, Don Dyer and Mark Miller.

Stockmeister Score, 240.13: Tony Clemens, Mike Finch and Dan Johnson.

Nice shooting Lady and Gentlemen.;+ ;Y ;+

4. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Made it to the range at 1:00 with the morning rush being over and light activity at each stage. Best weather in the last 3 years. Great ROs, good facility, great GSSF Staff. Shot reasonably well for the last match of the year. Unlimited turned out pretty good. Stockmeister misbehaved a little but should be alright. Tony C. put up a 46 in unlimited. Great dinner Saturday night with the Florida, Lubbock, San Antonio and Houston folks. Good to see everyone again.

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

After a 12 hour drive from NWFL, Don at PC, my daugther Amanda and I had a nice dinner at Rudy's with clem and wife, CCV and wife and friend Sam, and quite a few more folks that was a pleasure to meet!!!
    Saturday the weather was cloudy and cool and I did my "best to date" unlimited with a 60.56! My Stockmeister score was only fair with a 82.68;Q The RO's did a GREAT job and Glock had Chris Edwards and Scott Gilbertson to look over the two clubs that put on the match.....GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!
    Saturday night's dinner at the ALAMO Cafe' was a FUN get together with the addition of Bobby and Brenda Carver, Mr.& Mrs. Mike Finch, Mr.& Mrs. Mark Miller and a BUNCH more folks that I don't remember all there names (sorry) but all are very friendly folks:). Amanda keep everyone entertained with some of her stories ;Q and we did miss having Chris and Scott join us!
    After good bye's and confirming who all are coming to the Sunshine State for the next TWO matches, we headed back to the hotel. We got another EARLY start heading back to NWFL and arrived around 5:30PM.
    Dan:cool:
    PS: I'll post some pictures soon!

6. Shred

Shred Millennium Member

We shot today. It was raining in Austin so we took the 4x4 to pull hapless GSSF staffers out of the mud. Most of the trip down was in light drizzle to strong rain. Kept asking ourselves "do we want to shoot in this?". Got to the range around 11 and it was, amazingly, dry. Later on there were a few sprinkles here and there, but we shot through quickly (our only wait was for 2 shooters on the plates) and were out of there before 2:00. I did OK on Subcompact (high 70's, I hope) and managed to throw way too many +5's on AmCiv and Competition. Dropped by the gun show and were back home by 6.

My compadre got lots of questions about his slick new Carver-mounted C-more-ed Unlimited Glock and learned a few things about shooting a dot. (I learned a few things about not shooting a dot)

All in all, a better experience than last year, even without shooting MajorSub.

- Roy

7. Clem

Clem

The weatherman was finally right! Saturday was dry & a little colder than expected. Overcast (a good dot day). Donna & I shot through on Sat. afternoon with Mark Miller (a very good, quick, consistent shooter and a really nice guy to boot!). The match was extremely well run, no wait at any stage. Thanks to all of the RO's for doing a GREAT job!!! Donna had these totals: Am/Civ: 117.61; Unlimited: 130.59. I ended up with the following: Unlimited: 45.80 (like I said, it was a good dot day); Stockmeister: 76.38 (20 sec. in added time ;P). Had a fantastic time Fri. and Sat. evenings with old friends & new alike. It was a true pleasure meeting Amanda (Dan's daughter), Sam, Ken, Jerry, Tracy, Peggy (Mike F's beautiful wife) and Ginger (Mike W's lovely wife) as well as Mark Miller and his lovely wife Lisa, in addition to seeing old friends Joe, Teresa, Bobby, Brenda, Don, and Dan again. We love to shoot, but the shooting pales in comparison to the people we meet & spend time with. Hope everyone present had as good a time as Donna and myself. Next match will be Orlando in Feb. Take care, GTers.

8. Bandit

Bandit Team Beer

Glad everyone had a great time at the match! I enjoyed myself thoroughly (Was my first GSSF match) and I even won a Carver mount for helping RO the match. I enjoyed meeting people from all over and everyone was courteous to us, which made it super simple to RO. Like Glock's, this is gonna get *real* addictive I can see.

Hope to see you fine folks again. Now I gotta start looking for a G22 or G35 to go with this mount. My Glock collection currently only contains the compact sized Glocks. ;9 I guess this is as good an excuse as any to buy a new Glock right?

Thanks to Tony and Donna Clemens for having all the neat Glock goodies for sale, and the Carvers for putting up the additional prizes for the ROs. They are the nicest people you'll ever meet. I'll put the scope mount to good use!! ;f

Take Care,

Rick [​IMG]

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

;g ;g ;g Well the old "War Wagon" made it back from another great trip to the Great State of Texas. Had another chance to visit and shoot with some great friends. Tony and Donna deserve a BIG Thanks for setting up some great places to eat on both Fri/Sat evenings. The Texas Hospitality is hard to beat. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing Tony & Donna Clemens, Bobby & Brenda Carver, CCV (Mike), Joe & Teresa, Sam, Ken, Jerry, Tracy, Mike & Peggy Finch, Mark & Lisa Miller and I am sure there are a couple names I am leaving out but my old mind is still clowdy from the trip.

Thanks to the RO's at Black Hawk Range, you did a fantastic job. We enjoyed the match and appreciate your hard work and giving of your time so we can enjoy the sport.

The weather wasn't too bad. However I would have to give the weather forcaster a a grade of "D". It was supposed to be "Partly cloudy, no rain and low 60's" on Sat. Well I saw only a slight bit of sunlight maybe 3 minutes worth during the match on Sat and I bet it never got higher than the low 50's. It was dry though and I do appreciate that as well as everyone else ( except maybe Shred ) Unfortunately these old tired eyes needs all the sunlight they can get so my scores were not quite what I had planned.

Thanks Chris and Scott for keeping your fingures on the pulse of a really fun match.

A match well worth the long trip. Hope to see many of you at Jacksonville and Orlando and hope the Florida Hospitality can equal your Texas Hospitality.

10. Clem

Clem

First, as I said above, let me say that this was the quickest & best run match Donna & I have attended to date. Bandit, this is a direct result of people such as yourself, George, Robert, and Carlos, among others on the IPSC end, as well as Phil & Jonathan, Mark, John, Jake, George, Steve, Jim, Tom and our action pistol Club Prez, Lee Gonzales. Sorry if I missed anyone! I also saw more competitors taping targets here than at other places, which helps tremendously! Thanks to all involved for a great match!
    Second, congrats on winning the best scope mount available! Now you do have a great excuse to get whatever model Glock you decide on. Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact Bobby, myself or any others that do this regularly. After you get it set up, come out & play!! I promise you'll have fun & probably win more stuff to boot!! Congrats to all the winners of the RO drawings and to all of ya'll, THANK YOU for all you do to let us do what we love!! Tony & Donna / Team Sidearmor

11. Clem

Clem

If the Florida Gang had half as much fun as we did, Don, it was a success! I know the trip is a long one, but hope you feel it was worth it. Sure enjoyed seeing you & Dan again, as well as meeting Dan's daughter, Amanda. When she decides to compete, I'm sure she'll do GREAT!! Can't wait til Feb.!! See ya'll in Orlando!! Take care & be in touch. Tony & Donna / Team Sidearmor

12. brogers

brogers StockGlock

Thanks to all of the RO's and everyone who made this match possible. I had a great time. Got there at about 9:30 Sunday. Cool but not cold and NO RAIN! I remember last year (ugh). Had no real wait at all to shoot. On the way back to Houston, must have seen 50+ p'ups going home from deer hunting. On guy had 3 in the pickup bed. Rained all the way back to Houston, but it was dry when I left the range.
    Bob.

13. tracyt1800

tracyt1800 TCB

San Antonio was my first match but certainly won't be the last. I had a great time! I really enjoyed meeting every one on Saturday at the Alamo Cafe.

Tracy

14. DannyR

Tracy,

The best part of GSSF Competition is the fellowship at the matches and dinners. I think it's kind of unique to GSSF.

15. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

AMEN Coach!
    Dan:cool:

16. KenF

KenF

The match in San Antonio was my first one and I sure did enjoy it !

Many thanks to Tony and Donna for setting up the dinners on Friday and Saturday night, and to all who attended and helped to make this 'first timer' feel so welcome and part of the group.

As others have said, the match ran very smoothly, and the facilities and range officers were just great. Well, there is that dirt road.......but then that's an excuse to buy a truck now, so what the heck !

After I was done shooting, I went up to Chris Edwards to say thanks. He mentioned that it wouldn't hurt to write Gaston Glock a letter and let him know, too, since it's his $$ that pays for it. So I'll be doing that in the next day or two.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing y'all again at another match soon. Probably that'll be in May (Carollton) for me.

Ken Floyd

17. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

My letter to Mr. Glock is on the way to Austria.

18. Clem

Clem

Tracy & Ken,
    It was our pleasure to "break bread" with you over the weekend. Some of the nicest people we've ever met were through the GSSF matches. People we would have never met otherwise. Hopefully you enjoyed the match as well as the get-togethers. The shooting and the visiting with old & new friends sure make for a GREAT weekend! Hope ya'll had as much fun as Donna & myself! Look forward to seeing you both in Carrollton in May, if not before. Dinner there is usually at the Traildust Steakhouse, although the live music this year made talking almost IMPOSSIBLE! Maybe locals can suggest a different place (hint - I LOVE "On The Border!!"). Thanks for a memorable weekend, & hope to see ya'll again soon. Tony & Donna / Team Sidearmor.

19. tracyt1800

tracyt1800 TCB

I'm definitely planning on being in Carrollton in May. When we got back to work on Monday, Jerry and I were checking out the map at www.GSSFOnline.com to see what other matches were in driving distance of Lubbock.

I think Texas needs another match. If California can have three, surely Texas can have three as well. Or maybe one in New Mexico or Oklahoma.

Tracy

20. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

How about Shreveport? I would think Shreveport, Dallas and San Antonio would be easy to make. You get hooked on these matches real easily. The friendly competition, making new friends and visiting with old friends make this a great event.