close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Samsung shipped more phones than Nokia, Apple, LG combined

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

But rooting doesn't change the fact that the 5S is currently the fastest smart phone on the market, and has the best integration of OS to the hardware, since Apple only has to worry about a few hardware sets working with iOS, versus hundreds of hardware sets with Android.

2. droidfire

droidfire

Most is accurate. I only have one S4 - which isn't even rooted yet, life obligations are in the way of my playing with that one beyond taking advantage (finally) of the temp sensors.

The rest all run a custom ROM of my own making.

Generally once I start picking apart a new device I like to have two, so I can compare in real-time changes from one software version to another as I make alterations.

I rescind my comment from the pet thread, I would keep an animal for testing a chip.

For myself, no thanks.

The primary motivation on my coding endeavors is to ensure I know what data is going where when it leaves my device - not to keen on being spied on. Or potentially being spied on.

I'd like to know what digital tracks I am leaving behind and obfuscate or obliterate any and all identifiers. I don't run ad supported software, and don't do phone calls/texts/**** like that on a device that hasn't been rooted and locked down to my satisfaction.

I was pretty late to party with the whole smart phone bit, because I didn't like the idea of having a digital snoop in my hand all day. I started with a tablet that had no microphone or camera and stuck with it until I knew all I needed to in order to feel comfortable with taking control of those hardware components.

I still have every Android device I have ever owned, they all are in great working order and have a function in my digital life - nothing is going to waste on a shelf. These days I am far enough ahead of the game where I can get 'the new thing' without having to put it into service right away.

3. droidfire

droidfire

I can't believe I took the time to sort out at least some of your wall of wailing, but 'smart phone' is really a misnomer.

What you have is a pocket computer with an anywhere data connection. They grew out of the cellular network for telephones, but that thin thread still binding them is the priority rating the device gives to phone calls.

Generally I don't talk on the phone, if someone wants a conversation with me then they can find me, not too interested in speaking to some disembodied voice.

Not too much into texting either, because my average 'text message' reads like a short story.

Email I use a lot, internet usage, apps to perform specific (mostly job related) functions, I use CAD software more then anything else on the devices.

Being able to edit a .dwg blueprint to correct or otherwise change specs on-site from a device that weighs almost nothing and sits barely noticed in my pocket until needed.. It used to be the best I could do was a laptop/netbook for that, now I can do that kind of work without dragging an entourage of stuff behind me.

Inventory apps to keep track of things, handle .pdf files (make offline or read - also offline), the various office file formats (text, spreadsheet, database)...

...and a whole host of other specific functions you would need a real computer for if not for these awesomely capable pocket sized offerings. You can't do everything a computer can do (compiling complicated software code, for one) but a considerable share of computing tasks can be handled with the power in your pocket.

For me the phone concept is an afterthought, a barely used legacy function like an appendix is for the average human today.

4. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I can't even decipher what this post is supposed to say, but obviously the first sentence is wrong since the post I quoted brought up Apple by saying "F Apple."

5. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Jeez.... some of you guys!

6. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

7. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

OK.... dang you ALL!

8. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

Read the post fanboy I said note 2 not 3 and yes it is truly way past whatever apple is calling the same phone for the last 4 years

9. buster55

The bottom line is you like Apple I like Android But I don't bash Apple like alot on this board do Android
    I apologize to you for any out of line comments.

10. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

So you're saying your Note 2 is faster than a Note 3? :rofl:

11. buster55

Of course thats totally your opinion
    Apple has the best of this
    Apple doesn't have to worry about that
    Remember the put a rubber band around your I Phones till our best intergration of iOS figures out whats wrong
    Plus the Android team has enough staff to handle all the things your I phones wont do.
    Apple keeps falling behind day by day
    Look at the stats your losing..:supergrin:

12. buster55

No but on Nov 20 when I get my upgrade my Note 2 Will be the same as a Note 3
    You having trouble following something you don't understand ?
    Cheap Booze sometimes clouds the brain.
    Try to upgrade next time you visit the store, dont bend over when you get your bottle ,remember the good stuffs on the top shelf for a reason..;)

13. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Your posts make no sense, and the cheapest booze I drink is $35 a bottle. Enjoy your future Note 3, it has a better screen, but a slower processor than my 5s. I am sure we will both enjoy our respective purchases.

14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Awesome News!!

.......my next phone will be another iPhone