Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gen 3 and Gen 4 G17. Both have Tru Glo TFO night sights. The Gen 3 has a 3.5# connector and the Gen 4 has stock internals.
As much as I love the improved feel in my hand of the Gen 4 without a backstrap, it seems I shoot better with the medium backstrap installed so that the grip mimics the feel of my Gen 3.
Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
A bit. I have a Gen 3 G21 that I shot and used for a long time in IDPA. I liked the changes that the Gen 4 brought with it and figured I'd upgrade and use the large backstrap to keep the Gen 4 feeling like the Gen 3. But, after much playing around, I opted for no backstrap and would consistently put up better scores while shooting the newer Gen 4 G21 over my tried and true Gen 3.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Kinda of a given as you already said why you shoot better. It's your grip when you're using no backstrap on the gen4. Obviously you have better reach without no backstrap allowing for more available trigger finger. With that said you have to change the dynamics of how you pull the trigger without the backstrap on. That or use a slightly different hold. Perhaps rotating the dominant hand more or less.. It's going to be something you need to retrain yourself with.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Even though the finger grooves on the Gen3 frames fit my hands perfectly, I still shoot my Gen2 G17 better in IPSC.

Holding them, I much prefer the feel of the Gen3, but shoot better with the Gen2.

To be fair, I've been shooting the same Gen2 for almost 20 years and shot it a lot more than my Gen3. No doubt that has something to do with it.

Sniff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts