close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saltwater Reel Help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Feb 28, 2010.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Ya know what really chaps my hide? When I got my "big" boat, I decided I'd sell all my "little" gear. I ditched a 4/0, 6/0, and three Newell/Jigmaster 500's. I went and got me some purdy gold International things...

But, now, if I'm gonna piddle with BSB and Triggers...well, doing that with a bunch of Internationals over the side would kinda suck.

Sometimes I think I'm a moron! I do have a 7500SS and an 8500SS. May have my wife pick me up another two 8500SS's while she's at the beach this weekend. I assume they'd be decent enough for the bottom.

Or, maybe I could "borrow" my Jigmasters I sold. Or, maybe I could just buy them back from the guy. I may just do that.

Damn I'm an idiot. :upeyes:

Okay -- so, I guess the question is -- buy my Jigmasters back, bottom fish with 4 Penn spinning outfits, or just use the International 30's?

2. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Never sell your fishing gear. :supergrin:

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Sadly, I am quickly learning this.

Too little space led me to this outcome. :steamed:

4. certifiedfunds

As avid a saltwater fisherman as I have been my entire life, I haven't been able to fish for the last 3 years. I'm considering selling my boat until my situation changes, but I've always bought good gear and the tackle stays.

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

"Haven't been able" or haven't taken the time? There A HUGE difference between the two.

Giving up something you love in order to do something you hate makes no sense in life.

We are granted this time, and this time only. Make use of it the best that you can.

God willing, you'll make the best decisions and never look back with regret.

6. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

still a lot of people schedules make it where you can not take a boat to a lake and have time to get back to work,

a lot of people that i know are only getting 1 day off between work days , like 2 days on 1 off, 3 on 1 off, etc ..

and hitching the boat to a truck, going to the lake / ocean, getting out and coming back in leaves you with very little time on the water,

i do agree with you though you only get one shot at this, and no one makes it out alive, so do what you enjoy ..

2 days off on a normal work week though leaves you plenty of fun time on the water,

or if your lucky to live close to a place where you can keep it in the water even better

7. Bruce H

Bruce H

Fishing tackle, firearms, vehicles and boats are all valid reasons to purchase more land to build shelter for all the needful things. Sell or trade one piece off and you will need it every day for the next ten years.:supergrin:

8. certifiedfunds

Young children, 4 and 2 (girls). It takes too much sacrifice from those around me and time away from family time. I fought it for a while and finally fell on my sword.

Its temporary. There are only so many years that they want to be around Daddy. Times will change and I'll fish again. Its been part of my entire life.

Perhaps I can coax one or both into becoming fisher-girls. I hope so and that's why the boat remains for now. We'll see.

BTW, this is my current rig:

http://hewes.com/boat-specs.php?ID=92

9. hatidua

hatidua

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  10. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I am a big fisherman, have been my whole life, but I can't give any advise here. OP is talking about offshore fishing, and with certifiedfunds rig (above), I am not on the same level (my rig below).

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.php?language=en&category=canoes&nauticalboat=ABX16P206

:rofl:

Either way, I am a big fan of Penn Spinning reels, but I rarely go offshore, so decision is still yours.

Happy fishing to you though.

11. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

Oh, and I agree with this 1000%.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Gotcha! Understood. I can see how the girls would be hard to part with. I love takin' my yearling on the boat. :) I think he loves it more...

Awesome flats boat!!! Did you see the one I just got last week? Not as cool as yours, but it'll do A LOT my Wellcraft can't/won't do.

Curious -- does yours have the Power Pole? Is it really as good as it looks on fishing shows?

...man do I love a Hewes boat... :embarassed:

And, maynardwix, I hear ya man! Hey, as long as you love it an use it, that's all that counts!

13. CZ guy

CZ guy

Damn...

Well, I personally couldn't stand doing bottom fishing with a spinning reel. Tossing some livies at feeding fish is fun with one... but you definitively want a conventional setup for getting down there.

Either buy your stuff back, or get some new conventional reels. IMO, there's always a need for the smaller conventional reel as you may target smaller fish, or for making bait. I have a variety of Shimano Calcuttas that I love and have proven to be bulletproof.

I'm still a little puzzled at the decision to get rid of what you did, unless all you target is swordfish. :dunno:

14. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I never thought I'd do much bottom fishing... I still don't know if I will, but it would be nice to have the "proper" gear. I've got bottom rigs, galore, but no rods. Supid me.

Swords are really not on the agenda. Wahoo, dolphin, tuna, kings, etc., mainly.

As far as the Internationals go, I have 6 30's and 1 80. Those will troll great for me. And I have the Penn Spinfishers for sight casting to cobia, or peanuts on weedlines, or whatever... But, yeah, again, I'm a dumbass for ditching the other stuff.

I'm gonna try to buy back my Jigmasters. That'll give me 3 decent bottom rigs. Or, I'll just go buy 2-4 Penn 4/0 combos. They can be had for a reasonable price on www.tackledirect.com.

15. AK2AZ

AK2AZ It`s cold here.

The 750/850s will work fine for the bottom fishing...the are capable of plenty of drag. I use 60 series spinning reels here in AK for everything including halibut and haven`t had a problem. When I used to spend summers in FL I used 750s for everything short of billfish.

16. certifiedfunds

Yes. Powerpole is awesome. I did make the mistake of leaving it down once because the water was too deep for it to grab. I got on top and it sounded like a gunshot. Turned around and saw red hydraulic fluid all over the deck and thought it was blood and that I'd been shot. :embarassed: Till I realized that it blew one of the plastic hydraulic lines. :rofl:

I also have a Minn Kota AP/CP trolling motor on the bow. AP/CP means Autopilot/CoPilot. I control it with a wristwatch thing on my arm. The Autopilot locks it onto whatever heading I point it toward and makes adjustments to keep that heading. Point to a new heading, and it locks on to that one. Phenomenal.

The two combined make for a very nice shallow water rig. The AP/CP leaves your hands free to actually fish. But when you hook on a nice red in a cove or something, you just press the button around your neck and sink the power pole until you boat it. That way you can fish the spot out rather than having the TM run all over it or letting the wind blow you out of position.

Yes, I saw your little flats boat. They're tons of fun. I was trying to figure out what that black thing running along the gunnels is?

Thanks for the compliment on the boat. I've been very pleased with it and the folks at Maverick, Hewes, Pathfinder and Cobia have been great to work with. Excellent customer service.

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Hell if I know. REALLY...

It looks like some sort of support ribbing. I'm not sure if it's for structural support, or not, to be perfectly honest.

I do know it's handy to tie stuff to...

I guess over the summer I'll really try to focus on fishing with both boats. Up until now, all we really did was ride around and drink beer. Time to at least make the boats produce more than a hangover, ya know?

Anyway, nice chattin'. If you're ever up my way, I'd love to meet up for a day on the salt...or just a barstool. :)

18. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

If you really need to sell your gear, you buy the new stuff first and then sell the old stuff if you like the new stuff. :tongueout::rofl:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  19. certifiedfunds

Nuthin wrong with riding around and drinking beer. :supergrin:

Buy fish at the market on the way home.

20. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

My first (and last) trip baiting shrimp produced about 2.2 quarts of small/medium shrimp.

I broke down the costs. My shrimp cost roughly $127 per pound for that trip. :shocked: