Salt on Trex?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Feb 4, 2010.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Anyone know if it's ok to put roadsalt on a Trex deck? Thanks, HH

2. kiole

kiole

I wouldn't recommend putting rock salt on any type of walkway surface other then asphalt pavement. Salt can be very harsh on a variety of materials. Your much better off spending the extra money and buying concrete/walkway safe ice melting products.

Althought Trex does say you can use rock salt on their product, but if it were me i'd use it lightly. A little goes a long way. Also they suggest washing the salt off as soon as possible in the spring.

If your looking to save a few bucks what we do for ice melting at condos is mix rock salt and ice melt together at 50/50 stretches the ice melt further plus it actually works better. As it will begin melting immediatly at colder temperatures and last longer then either one alone.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Is Ice Melt not salt? If not, can I just use that instead? My old wood deck never iced up like this new synthetic one. Thanks, HH

4. Fungunner

Fungunner

This from the Trex website regarding snow removal:

Ice and Snow: Calcium chloride or rock salt, available in many home centers, will melt ice on Trex decking. Rinse off when first practical. Use caution when removing snow or ice with a snow shovel, and never use a metal snow shovel on a Trex deck. A shovel may scratch the deck, which is not covered under warranty.

My guess is, the plastic that impregnates the Trex material is not much different than the plastic bag the rock salt comes in:

"Trex composite products are made of a unique combination of wood and plastic fibers. Trex gets its plastic and wood fibers from reclaimed or recycled resources. Including sawdust and used pallets from woodworking operations, and recycled plastic grocery bags from all over the country."