Sallie Mae Execs Wine and Dine in Hawaii as students drown in loans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Oct 18, 2019.

1. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Unimportant fact: The VA paid my way through college. It was a small private college but the costs weren't more than the VA covered. They also helped buy two homes over the last 50 years (or just shy).

My wife and I are blessed to be able to pay for our grandson's college education. It takes a pretty big hit out of our 401(k)s but that's fine as long as he keeps up the grades. So far, so good.

2. xTerpx

xTerpx

I'm going to break with you and your logic here, sir, as this is precisely the problem—every one of these snot-nosed kids fully expect to come out of college earning six-figure salaries; therefore, they use this fallacious presupposition to justify an over-priced education from a two-bit school in a field drowning with people who can barely outperform the average tech-savvy 16 year old nowadays.

Pandaz3 likes this.

3. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

What’s crazy is I was drowning in loans about a year ago. I went to a private college which was stupid on my part... $122,000 later... and I’m moving out of a career in the finance field to something else. I graduated in May of 2017. I’ve paid $101,000 and owe a measly 21k. I worked my ass off and made some smart financial decisions to get to where I am now. Next time I hear another person my age squawk about loan forgiveness I might lose my ****.

What these kids don’t understand is in order to pay back your debt, you need to live well below your means. I’m talking about living on 20k when you make 80k. Put the money aside and you’re good.

I’m ashamed that I get lumped in with the “millennial” generation even though I’m smack in the middle of the generation on paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xTerpx and Pandaz3 like this.
  4. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

My Sis got a Master's in Phycology, then discovered that her years as a Beertender did not count as Psych experience. The only people hiring Phycologists were the Government and THEY sneered at Beertendering. She finally got a job making Anthrax, go figure. She deserve her Student loans, Lefty that she is.

5. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

I used a lot of tricks to pay for college (Night School), so I had no loans, just a little suffering and had to take what was available. Since I could not expect a degree in a decent career field attending where I had to be for work. I just wanted a degree and got a BAS in Management. It never made me money to speak of, but might have helped get me an interview or two.

You need a Skill!

6. fg17

fg17

That's strange, must be the area. The average psychologist makes 85K a year and their are quite a few jobs out there. That's average I've seen a few psychology jobs that pay around 200K per year.

7. kernal_panic

kernal_panic

$23k in student debt is much less than the cost of an average new car. infact its about the price of a new chevy trax suv. if it were a 5 year car loan it would be about $437 a month.