Sallie Mae Execs Wine and Dine in Hawaii as students drown in loans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Oct 18, 2019.

1. The Father

The Father

The problem is people that are dumber that a sack of rocks signed up for student loans.
    Most of these borderline morons don’t even know that the piece of paper they are signing is for a loan.
    Everyday I see these borderline morons apply and run the credit, 30 or 40,000 in students loans. I think the record is $130,000 of student loans and they could not complete an application coherently.

xTerpx and Tvov like this.
  2. spork

spork Caffeinator

I met at least one who didn't know the difference between a scholarship and a loan. She had taken out a huge loan and didn't even seem to understand that.

Tvov likes this.

3. Rotn1

Rotn1

I have no sympathy for the borrowers. University degrees are obscenely expensive, why because the easier it is for the kids to get the money , the more the Universities will charge.
    How much does it cost?..... How much do you have / can you get?

Princeton, which is just across the River is about $65k per year including book and residency.
    My boys at Penn State averaged about $35k per year.
    Any of you that have spent time in university towns know it’s an ecosystem designed to strip students and parents of $$$$$$.
    It’s obscene.
    Can you imagine paying the equivalent of $3,600 a month for 3 bedroom, two bath room apartment in Bugtussle PA

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    fnfalman likes this.
  4. jcullen

jcullen

I must of been high when I wrote that.I forgot it's not 1966

fnfalman likes this.
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I have no issues with college education being expensive. I have issues with losers not paying back their loans.

xTerpx and Rotn1 like this.
  6. alank2

alank2

It is a classic liberal / fake news media lie. Yeah, show me those pictures of people on vacation. I've got no problem with that and I say good for them that they have a company willing to do something for them. I have no patience or sympathy for people who take out a loan and don't want to meet their responsibility to pay it back. You borrowed it - you pay it back. You don't want to pay it back? Don't borrow it in the first place...

Too many people go to college because it is the "thing to do" for somebody "important" like them. This is absolute stupidity. Go to college if you can do the job at the end of it and realize the benefit for the cost involved, or don't.

7. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

I am so tired of hearing about student loans. First of all the colleges are outrageously over priced. Then they force students to take courses they don't need, while purchasing books that due to a word change, are no longer acceptable to the present semester (those are last semester's words) and consequently the student needs the "new" book. Instructors are incredibly overpaid and the colleges maintain people on staff, who never appear but have name recognition, while drawing down embarrassing salaries.

I put myself through college, at nights, while raising a family, working a job (and at times two for extra money) and living in an apartment. If I didn't have money for a course, I didn't take it until I could afford it.

I've been very successful in life and have no complaints. These snowflakes need to shut up and accept responsibility for their actions.

OGW, sonoma, jcullen and 1 other person like this.
  8. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I work at a university and a former co-worker who is a faculty member had a daughter going to school. After the daughter completed school (taking 6 years to do a 4 year degree) she complained about her daughter's students loans coming due. Her chief complaint was that her daughter didn't understand the part about having to pay interest on the loan and that she was actually going to end up paying more back than what she had borrowed. This faculty member - a full professor, mind you - said that the school should have better educated her kid about loans and that freshman should have to take a course that taught them about finances and fiscal responsibility. It was all I could do keep from telling her that was her responsibility as a parent and not the school's.

BTW, the grandmother of the young lady ended up paying off the loan outright so she wouldn't start her "career" saddled with debt. It's evident no one in the family knows anything about good money management.

OGW, sonoma and FullClip like this.
  9. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!
    WAIT! YOU JUST DID!

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!
    WAIT! YOU JUST DID!

10. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

Lol double tap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

2 Major problems there:

1. "Everybody needs college" - we have decided that everybody should go to college. We apparently decided that because the left will never admit that everybody doesn't have equal ability. We are insisting that people who are too dumb and/or lazy to hold down a job flipping burgers need a degree in sociology or psychology or business management (anything you can BS your way through without strict technical requirements). The only thing we have accomplished is to make college degrees less valuable, across the board.

2. "There's lots of money to pay tuition, so we can raise our prices and build those new dorms and stadiums" - all that available government money creates tuition inflation. The more there is to take, the more colleges are going to charge while telling themselves it's all to improve the quality of education. What you end up with are expensive degrees.

So now we insist that everybody needs a very expensive degree that s worth very little. We have also started to insist that anybody who is serious about it needs a graduate degree, since 4-year degrees aren't worth much anymore.

OGW likes this.
  12. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Keep in mind many of these people have been cared for 100% financially, materially and socially by mommy and daddy for ...... their ........ entire ......... lives. And they aren't kids.

They don't understand the concept of money. How it works. How it's earned. All they know is what it buys.

It's no wonder they're such pliable subjects for the Hitler Youth Agenda in our public schools for the past 20 years.

Just imagine what the next 20 years will bring.

13. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

The next 20 scare the stuffing out of me. Good thing I'm old.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

The student loans you hear about most are the ones that are $100-$200k and it took the person 9 years to graduate. Now they work at a job they did not even need a high school diploma to do.

But then the cost of college is stupid expensive - mostly because government tried to make it possible for anyone to go - near unlimited loans/ no questions ask.

This allowed colleges to jack the tuition to the moon.
    On another thread I posted this -

I was making $5 an hour while working my way through college- tuition was $16 a credit hour — so a little over 3 hours of my work paid for one hour of college tuition.

I looked it up / same college is now $311 per hour.

So that pizza joint job I had should be paying about $100 an hour.

I bet the owner doesn’t always make that much-

It is harder now than it was- and us old farts can crow about how we did it with little or no loans- but we also need to face it - government has made it worse.

OGW and FullClip like this.
  15. xTerpx

xTerpx

I agree...no place for snotty-nosed whiners in the foxhole. Their attitudes are like a cancer and their complacency gets people hurt.

I do, however, support conscription in other areas—make these little healthcare change-agents empty bed pans in the local hospitals for 3 years, mandatory.

fnfalman likes this.
  16. Powder

Powder

College tuition has gone up WAY more than inflation/cost of living/whatever.

How much per credit hour was college when you went?

I work at University of Kentucky and it is $490 per credit hour. Multiply that by 3 (or 4) for each class, again by 4 for full-time student, and then again by 2 for a full year. Any summer classes are extra. Don't forget about books, school fees, and whatever else they add in. Nobody is doing that nowadays while working part time, raising a family, paying their own way through life.

Still, they are 100% responsible for paying that back. College loan forgiveness is bull****.

BTW - I went to electrical trade school which was free.....

17. sonoma

sonoma

Someone has to pay for all the football scholarships of the people who don't come to class and still get an A.

FullClip and Mugsie1 like this.
  18. Terry G

Terry G

Wife and I vowed that both children could go to college on us. No student loans. We would NOT re-mortgage or take out a loan ourselves. The big if. They had to have the grades and want to go. They had the grades; Valedictorian and 4.0 on graduation. Highest Male student an 3.8 GPA. We worked OT and paid as we went. Wasn't easy but both graduated to careers paying very good salaries. The moral is make sure your children want to go to college and make sure they are mature enough and have the ambition. Taking out student loans is the same as getting a mortgage with your diploma.

19. sonoma

sonoma

Also, all the minorities that get free college legal and illegal in some cases.It adds up.

20. Terry G

Terry G

I was highly irate when signing up my Son for college. There were the payees, us, and the free everything, them. Second semester I wasn't upset. There were less than 10 freebies still enrolled. Flunked out or quit. Daughter went to private college (OUCH!!) no free rides there.