Sallie Mae Execs Wine and Dine in Hawaii as students drown in loans

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HalfHazzard, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JHCJR

JHCJR

it’s just mean to expect them to SACRIFICE fancy weddings and nice cars just so they can pay some mean, heartless person money they owe them!!!!! Mean mean mean

treg, railfancwb, tuica and 1 other person like this.
  2. jcullen

jcullen

RE-INSTATE THE DRAFT

Gilbertc13 likes this.

3. xTerpx

xTerpx

Their disdain for America and its ideals preclude them for actually serving someone or something other than themselves.

4. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Maybe it's stuff like this that has a smidgen of an impact on the cost of college??

[​IMG]

Cali-Glock, Deanster, Rotn1 and 8 others like this.
  5. fx77

fx77 CLM

My ex wife went to grad school late and in 1983 paid off her $60,000 in school loans working 4 different jobs at a time. some FT and some PT...what a Jerk was I!

Rotn1 and railfancwb like this.
  6. dudel

dudel

It's just another way for the dims to pay off the schools for doing the work of indoctrination. Raise your tuition, and the dims will funnel it to the schools through school loans. Very tidy.

Deltic, OGW, railfancwb and 1 other person like this.
  7. spork

spork Caffeinator

Another problem is that too many people are going to college. College is right for some people, but not all. Many people are better served by taking other well-established routes to future financial and career success, such as vocational, technical, military, Job Corps, apprenticing in a trade, or just being a self-starter.

Deltic, treg, OGW and 4 others like this.
  8. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I wonder what the actual % is of people that work within their field of study...
    Then, out of that group, how many are “drowning in debt”.

Not throwing rocks... I just think people who have a plan and follow through with that plan get to the point in their lives where they make better financial decisions much faster.

As far as how the Sallie Mae people behave while traveling... Whatever.

I live like a King when traveling on a per diem!

treg and railfancwb like this.
  9. Redeemed

Redeemed

When did it become the responsibility of the parent to provide advanced education for their adult child? And what is irresponsible in making them provide it on their own? They have ample time in their High School years to work and save a good sum towards college expenses. If they want to.

10. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Nobody forced them to take loans out. Nobody forced them to sign the payment agreement. Nobody forced them to go to college.

Blame whitey

11. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

It is frustrating to see govt affiliated organizations attending conferences at luxury resorts because they should be more frugal with those funds. But the people who took out loans knew what they were doing. How they have any bearing on the situation is beyond me.

12. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

Probably not a high %. I phrased my idea wrong. Was referring to financial stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

Probably not a high %. I phrased my idea wrong. Was referring to financial stability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. fg17

fg17

There was a time when a kid could save in HS, Then work summer jobs and pay there college tuition along with a part time job during the school year. I suppose some could carry a full load and work an almost full time job. But with the cost of college these days I think those days are pretty much over.

I think it should be a group effort of the parents and child. I hate that the fed loan amount is based on the parents income. The poor and the rich kids have it the easiest. Poor kids have a lot of benefits they can tap. Wealthy parents can send their kids to school without it affecting their lifestyle or financial future. The middle class suffers the most, like usual.

15. fg17

fg17

I know some people that have a wedding business or venue. 20k is average. just crazy.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/average-cost-of-wedding#nogo

FullClip likes this.
  16. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I think financial stability and staying the course within your field of study probably intersect fairly quickly.

n2g likes this.
  17. Tvov

Tvov

You are right that too many colleges are too expensive, but...

There are a lot of colleges, universities, community colleges that are not all that expensive. And.... a lot of big name universities have extensive tuition grants and scholarships available - most do, and many times make a big deal out of helping kids who can't afford full tuition.

My daughter, honor student in high school, went to an expensive college and the college "paid" for 3/4 of her tuition (we got basically a 75% discount). She studied hard in high school and it paid off big time for her.

My son goes to a local university - he lives at home and commutes. Along with the 50% reduction in cost due to not staying on campus, he also has a couple grants due to his high grades and hard work.

One killer with all this is "financial assistance".... when related to college, almost always that just means LOANS!!!!! Parents and students many times need someone to slap them upside the head to realize that all that "financial assistance" they are "eligible for" are just more and more loans.

It is just weird to me that people "receive" all this "financial assistance" and then are shocked at how much they owe after graduating. Does ANYONE actually LOOK at the paperwork they are signing to get that money???

18. ocjackel

ocjackel

I know many here say “nobody put a gun to their head!”

While technically true there is enormous pressure for kids to go to college, even if they are not ready or have no chance of succeeding. The “you must go to college to have any sort of successful life” is drummed into kids starting in elementary school.

Who benefits from this? The universities who can charge ridiculous
    Amounts for tuition and lenders who get to make risk free loans guaranteed by the government.

Want to see tuition costs fall dramatically? Stop guaranteeing the loans for the lenders and make students loans dischargeable in bankruptcy after 10 years.

If lenders were forced to lend money on credit worthiness and ability to pay, most students would not get loans, demand for college would drop dramatically, and universities would be forced to lower tuition to attract students. Many of the ridiculous diploma mill “universities” would go out of business

treg, Lazy R and OGW like this.
  19. norton

norton

IMO, every student needs to have a part time job AWAY FROM THE UNIVERSITY. That means work with people in the real world. And summers should be spent working a job as well. Weekends instead of getting drunk and playing beer pong students need to be immersed in how the rest of the world lives, and how they will live once they graduate.
    Working.
    College has become a rite of passage for too many. Its owed to the young, even though their parents have done little or nothing to prepare them financially or mentally for what's to come.

20. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I once worked for a Student Loan (SL) company - two division, guarantee and service. We were a non-profit company. We made a fortune - so much that the US Government decided we sould be taken over and given to Sallie Mae (SM).

The company offered 6% matching in our 401Ks. My first two years I got an 11% and 14% raise and a promotion. Profit sharing averaged 11%/year in the time I was there. We got 3 weeks vacation each year - to start. I began work exactly 6 months into the fiscal year and 'earnedn' 1.5 weeks of vacation the day I started. We each got $2500/year for training purposes - to be spend anywhere we liked - just so it was somewhat related to the business or the software we were using. Great company to say the least.

One day a clerical worker found a problem with some loans that we had guaranteed. As a loan went bad we were required to perform due diligence on it (contact the borrower with a series of phone calls and letters to try to get the loan back into compliance. When all failed, we would be reimbursed by the government. It's been many, many, years now so my memory is a little sketchy. But there was Japanese money involved - 200 million IIRC. They must have bought a packet of loans and would receive a portion of the interest from our servicing side. A major bank out of NC decided they would perform the diligence on the packet (loans they initiated) - not needing our assistance. They faked the phone calls and letters. When some of the loans went sour they wanted us to stand behind them. This was the reason our

We sent out lawyers to DC and the big bank sent their lawyers to DC and the first Bush administration said our company was broke and handed it over to SM - staffed by a load of political appointees. All the fine benefits went to DC via SM to be split, I assume, by Swamp Creatures.

DC wanted to put some Hunter Biden types into key appointments. But the major attraction was our $140 million reserve account. That was a plum just ripe for the picking. I'm sure it was also split up and any losses going forward were covered by Treasury accounts.

It was a shame - I loved working there. But I left - the SM people were just unbearable to work with. It was a lesson in government vs. private sector power.

Here's a story about the company and one man's opinion on why it failed. It is true that we guaranteed loans to truck driving schools, etc. But we were forced to if we wanted to do business in the state. For example: We guaranteed loans in TX - UT. But then we had to guarantee loans in a TX truck driving school. The story makes no mention of the SC bank that faked the due diligence and the fact that we found and reported the problem. This is just how things get swept under the rug and the money disappears.

https://www.questia.com/library/jou...-from-the-failure-of-a-student-loan-guarantor

Lazy R likes this.