Salaried people......how many hrs is reasonable........

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Von Hayes, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

.........to have to put in a week, off the books........to stay current?

Obviously, I want to put in as few as possible........., but I'm just right now coming to grips......with the fact I gotta start studying outside of work...

......and as I write this......I just realized the answer...."all depends......."

Gotta start doing it and it will explain itself....

......this ain't right......

2. Dave514

Dave514

Divide the salary out by the hours you're having to work and decide if that's worth it.

I'd work 60 hours a week for what breaks down to $100/hr but I'm not working 41 hours a week if it breaks down to $15/hr.

Bren, NJ1911, jcullen and 4 others like this.

3. shadowgunner9

shadowgunner9 This used to be AMERICA........

Yep. It aint right. Why would I EVER want to work" off the books"...?
    Nope. I get paid hourly and I make more than our supervisor- he has said this.
    I never understood the salary- thing.........

treg and cbetts1 like this.
  4. light-switch

light-switch Back to work...

From strictly a dollar figure, I like what Dave said earlier. However that doesn't take into account how much do you personally like the job itself. I'm a high school teacher, in a public school: sometimes I'm expected to put in extra hours on evenings, sometimes on weekends: I don't mind it, because I like the lifestyle, schedule, and having summers off. I'm willing to put up with the annoyances, for the sake of the overall picture. I could be making more money doing something else, but I would not have as much time to do other things that I'm interested in, like spending time with my kids, or fishing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

NJ1911, PhotoFeller, n2g and 4 others like this.
  5. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

I think a lotta the point of being salaried is that you're expected to do your job regardless of the time it takes.

Within that loose structure, you may be expected to be onsite or available for a set of specific core hours, but beyond that it's really a "just get it done" mindset.

A salaried position is less a job per se, and more of a life and career. The lines are blurred.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  6. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I worked average 10 hour days, 50 hours a week for 27 years before I retired. I was paid for it though, as the hours required were terms of employment. Studying during your off time at the beginning of a job is pretty common. I studied a hell of a lot of hours without pay while attending a 4 month LE academy.

lazarus66 and Von Hayes like this.
  7. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

When I was "climbing the ladder", I put in many, many 80 hour weeks. During that time, I kept getting promoted over other people so I was getting a good return on my work. Twenty eight years later, I'm in charge of the company.

I don't work 80 weeks anymore, but while people on my staff are having dinner and watching TV with their family or something, I'm often having meetings at 9pm my time, with factories in Asia.

8. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

More than one time I slept in my office during the start-up of a new process in the plant that I built. I lived 65 miles away and it just wasn't worth the travel time.

Also did that in another plant during start-up to debug the control system.

Things never go bad 8 to 5.

9. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

It's not about "the job"......doing the shift work........its my "development plan." I have to set goals and show progress on with online courses and stuff......I get to pick to some extent on these........its going to help me, and I should really be grateful.......but........ya know

.....I've got a gleeful coping meme I'm workin on in my head....."its the college that pays you!" .......that should get me through this.......I'm callin it 10 hrs a week......or something....

....its just like Saving Private Ryan........"you stay here, [and] youre a dead man!"

Paul53 and Boo Berry like this.
  10. Dave514

Dave514

I think that's a good point. And what Green Dragoon makes a difference too. Are the extra hours putting you(Von) in line for something even better?

Another thought, having been in this position, some jobs require so much laser focus that you just can't do it endlessly. When you screwing up hours 10, 11 and 12....you're either going to have to work on fixing it or hearing it from above. I found that with any kind of accounting type work or shipping work. I gather Von does computer crap and I think the dots are kind of important.

Green Dragoon and Von Hayes like this.
  11. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

I try to keep it at 40. During busy season, 50, occasionally, 60. During slow times, sometimes closer to 30. It all evens out.

If I'm in the middle of something, I stay until it's done or I get to a good stopping point. If I'm there later than normal, the boss will usually say, "go home. It can wait till tomorrow."

If I need a day off, or need to leave early, I take it. But rarely do.

Depends on the job and work environment, whether you have a boss you can go to about "life-work balance" stuff. My particular workplace is quite liberal in that way, outside of busy season. Busy season, there's a blackout on time off. You better be close to death if you can't be there.

12. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

60-70 hrs is normal.
    :)

Rinspeed likes this.
  13. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Wow...I've worked crazy hours on a lot of projects, but never had to build it all myself.

willie_pete likes this.
  14. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Yes.....I already know I cant do this forever.......I picked a high stress field.....I do triage mostly.......the dots, and the grammar, and everything else.....is important.......and there are oftentimes no set answers........but a lot of people do this who cant code.......but those days.......wont last.......well not for me they wont, lol

Dave514 likes this.
  15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

"......and as I write this......I just realized the answer...."all depends......."

That's like the punchline of this joke:

Q: What do old people's butts smell like?
    A: Depends.

Von Hayes likes this.
  16. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

Well that sounds like opportunity to me. I keep this on my bedroom wall, it’s the first thing I see everyday. It says “opportunity”. It’s my daily reminder to identify and exploit opportunity every chance I get. Don’t worry about the hours.

F7AE09E9-EEDE-42CE-851B-C7BDB2919AF1.jpeg

17. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Thanks, I'm in career mode right now.........you guys gonna have to handle all the funny stuff for a couple half an hour' tills I can snap out of it....

18. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Oh so we'll only see funny stuff coming from you for a couple half an hour' ??? I thought it started on June 17 2008 and hasn't let up since!

(only kidding)

Von Hayes likes this.
  19. Rotn1

Rotn1

There is no such thing as “off the books”. There is “Exempt” employees and “Non- Exempt” employees.

Exempt means you don’t get overtime due to your supervisory role / level of salary / Title .
    Non- Exempt means they have to pay you for all overtime worked.

Which are you?

Some companies wrongly tell Non -Exempt employees that they are expected to work some level of overtime and not record it. That is highly illegal.

The other thing some companies do is try to make what is a Non- Exempt can call it Exempt.
    ....,, or make them think that if they charge OT they are in trouble.

Companies can be sued if that’s what is going on.

BUT to answer your question, if you are an Exempt employee you are expected to get the job done with no direct connection to hours. The question is are they expecting to much from one person or are you not capable of doing the job in a reasonable time frame. You have to figure that out.

If you are salaried I have known people that did the bare minimum and ran out the door precisely on time and I have known the 80 hour a week folks every week.
    How much do you get paid..... how much / far do you want to advance.

Sharkey, BradD and Von Hayes like this.
  20. Jonesee

Jonesee

I'm pushing 60 and still work 50-60 hours a week , every week and I've done it for almost 40 years. It has paid off.

My stepdad told me he offered to work for free for 2 weeks to land a job. I made the same offer to land the job that got me started in my career.

During promotion interviews I've admitted I'm not the smartest guy out there, but I will outwork anyone.

As Green Dragoon stated, I'm often still in the office or at home on my laptop long after my team has gone home. My gang comes in at 8:30, I am there turning the lights on at 5:30 every morning.

Only you know what your career and being financially secure is worth to you.