close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Salads

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Jeeps, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I have to admit that I'm not a real fan of salads, and it wouldn't be my first choice to grab a salad on the go, or to make one at the house, but I can say that I enjoy a spinach salad.

Last night, I added soy nuts and sunflower seeds to a spinach salad and then topped it with a little bit of creamy italian and you know what? - my kids devoured it.

So now I'm thinking about krafty ways to get them to eat salads. I'll take any suggestions.

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I love mixed greens, pecans or walnuts, grilled chicken breast and sometimes onion or tomato with raspberry vinegar and olive oil. Doubt the kids would like the raspberry vinegar though.

3. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

I'm a balsamic guy...and they won't eat that. I had to go creamy Italian, which is not my favorite, but they ate it. So I'm onto something here. I think the nuts and all had something to do with that too!

4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

My favorite is romaine lettuce with chopped up marinated artichoke hearts, a little onion & green pepper, black olives, & croutons with balsamic italian (preferrably the white).

5. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Is it peek-hans? or peeee-caanz?

6. nickg

nickg

i love spinach salad with either an olive oil/red wine vinegar dressing or a ceasar dressing.

i love a nice garden salad though too topped with chicken with hot wing sauce and blue cheese dressing.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Peeeeeee-caaanz :)

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I LOVE salads. If you use fresh, good quality produce, you don't have to add any of that creamy slimy stuff. It only spoils the taste of the veggies.

9. Jeeps

Jeeps Millennium Member

Good, I hate for you to think I was pronouncing them as peek-hans.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

And walnuts are warrrnuts ;)

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I love hot wings but I would have never thought of using the sauce on a salad. I am going to try that, thanks! ;e

12. lwt210

lwt210

Here is the crowd pleaser at my house when it comes to salads......

I grill up a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breast over mesquite that have been marinating in balsamic vinagrette dressing. When that is done, I slice them up into strips and prepare the salad.

Lettuce, tomatoes, purple onion sliced up nicely, carrots, sharp cheddar cheese, homemade crutons, pepperoni slices and whatever else you like can go on there. I have thrown sunflower seeds on mine alone cause the rest of them here don't like them on theirs.

Also, I will cook up some thick cut, low sodium bacon on a Foreman grill and when that is done, cut it up into fresh bacon bits.

The salad goes to the table in a bowl with the chicken on the side. We all use different dressings on ours. I'll stick with the italian but the wife goes with creamy ranch. I've tried it both ways and I guess pretty much any dressing would go with it.

It takes some prep time for this salad but it is well worth it. Is it a healthy salad? I don't know but it sure is fine!

13. Acer

Acer

my favorite salad is about a half cup of spinach with a 16 oz medium rare ribeye on top ;)