close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sake

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by walangkatapat, Dec 25, 2005.

1. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

I've never tried sake and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which brands, taste, and price?

2. JMF30

JMF30

I rarely drink Sake, but when I do I ask for a really sweet (think dessert wine) sake. Several of the local sushi bars in my location offer "sake samplers" - I'd recommend starting with something like that until you have a general idea of what your tastes are.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1364137

3. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

I just introduced my wife to hot sake at a Christmas party last weekend. We went through 4 small bottles at the Japanese resturant, we split some with other people, but drank most of them ourselves. I think I have created a monster, this is all she talks about now.....SAKE!!!!!

Not to hijack the thread, visit a good Japanese steakhouse or Sushi bar and talk to them, they usually have a couple different types. A hot Sake taste different than cold one, so you may have to experiment some. And remember, Don't Drink & Drive! Have a designated driver. It's Safer & Cheaper!

GlockSpeed31

4. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I love warm Sake, but we only drink it when we dine out at Chinese.

5. General Sherman

General Sherman

Absolutely avoid Sake.

It is addictive. Hot or cold.

It is so addictive that a major Japanese maker has opened a sake brewery in the lower end of Napa County, California.;c

6. wuhungsix

wuhungsix

sake BOMB...sake BOMB...

7. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

I'll try most anything. I also do so more than once to give it a fair-shake.

I can't recall how many times I've tried a swallow of sake when at any sushi or Japanese restaurant. I just can't warm-up to the taste of it. It's simply rice-vinegar at a much higher price.;Q

8. USMC_G19

USMC_G19 Ham Salad

If you can find it, Awamori, an Okinawan type of sake is pretty good. Or if you are feeling adventurous you could try Habu Sake. Its made with a poisonous snake on Oki. I brought back a bottle with a snake coiled up on the bottom.