Saiga Shotguns with New ATI StrikeForce Stock...COOL...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Nalapombu, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all,

Have you all seen the new(?) stock for the Saiga firearms by ATI called the Strikeforce? It's the first stock setup I have seen on the Saiga that I liked. You can check it out here if you want.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/

Apparently it fits all the Saiga shotguns and rifles without any mods and is 922 compliant. I think the fact that you don't have to do any mods to your Saiga is a big plus. No sending it to Tromix or other customizers for that work. Sure the Tromix will be better built and have those custom features that you just can't get on a factory weapon, but for those on a budget I think this is a good way to go.
    What do you think of it? I think it also comes as a folder too.

One other Saiga question. I recall posts in the past about the top shell in the mags being flattened when you leave the mags inserted in the shotgun for extended periods of time and that affected the reliability. Is that still true? Is it a concern anymore or has that been resolved? I can see how that might present a problem for those that want to use the Saiga as a Home Defense weapon. Fill me in please.

Thanks

Nalajr

2. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I think the conversions are still a better gun because they get rid of the extra linkages in the trigger and make the rifles compatible with standard AK magazines.

Is Russian, you should be shooting Wolf shells with the steel hulls. :tongueout:

Do the flattened shells chamber OK? What happens to shells loaded into the mags, but not inserted in the gun. Do the feed lips dent the shells? The Keltec SGC is looking better and better for the ultimate home defense shotgun.

[​IMG]

3. JK-linux

JK-linux

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Damn. Please for the love of all that is holy convert that Saiga to it's rightful self.

:wavey:

5. Nalapombu

Is there an option to convert one for about the same money as the ATI stock? That stock option runs about $130 or so. I didn't think that you could do the conversion on a Saiga for that little amount?
    I posted it because first I think it looks pretty good and second, it's a low cost option to having a conversion done. Most people wouldn't be able to afford to shell out another $800 or so right after paying $600+ for the Saiga 12.

Would I rather have a Tromix, SURE WOULD, but this looks like a viable option for those that couldn't afford to get that kinda work done. If I'm wrong about the cost and what's needed for one, please tell me different. I am not too familiar with the ins and outs of the Saiga conversions, just that you can get into some serious money pretty darn quickly.

Thanks

Nalajr

6. Nalapombu

I don't know. From the past threads I read about them some of the owners did complain that the "flattened" hulls didn't feed very well and was somewhat less than 100% reliable. The hulls get flattened from resting on the bottom of the bolt carrier, I think that's what they rest on when a full mag is inserted and the chamber is left empty.

Nalajr

7. Glock40man

Glock40man

8. Nalapombu

Is there much of a difference in the 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch shells in 00 Buck? Would you swap out and use those parts in your S12 if it meant you could only use 2 3/4 HD loads and no 3 inchers? I know DEAD is DEAD and a 2 3/4 would do just fine, just trying to figure out what you'd be losing by only going with 2 3/4 inch. Do most police use 2 3/4 or do they rely on 3 inch shells in their "riot" shotguns in their cruisers?

Thanks

Nalajr

9. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

To answer your question, it's been my LE experience that we use mostly (if not all) 2 3/4" shells. Why? Cheaper ammo, can fit more in an 870 or 1187 mag tube.

As for the stock, anything and everything made by "ATI" makes me wanna BLERRRGGG...

10. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

If you're going to be leaving a magazine in the Saiga for an extended period of time, like having it loaded and in a closet for home defense, you can lock the bolt open and leave it open while it's stored. All you have to do at that point if you need it is pull the carrier handle back a little and then let it go, and you're ready to shoot. No more flattened hull, problem solved.

I don't know if you can do a conversion for $130, but even a basic fixed stock conversion isn't much more in parts, and it is easy enough to do your self. Carolina Shooters Supply has links to do-it-yourself videos that'll walk you through the process. There's no need to send it somewhere to have the work done.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla

My saiga 12 was the easiest to convert. It is very fun. Yes it can be done for under $130 if you work carefully.

If you are shooting a variety of different loads (birdshot-buck-slugs) I highly suggest the MD arms adjustable gas plug (5 settings vs the factory two). Also the aftermarket pucks at best aren't necessary and at worst cause problems.

I highly recommend to everyone having a pump shotgun especially as a first shotgun. Getting a saiga 12 while you can is one thing but a pump shotgun would be higher up my purchase list.

Non conversion Saiga stocks are abominations. Kalashnikov cries everyday a sporterized Saiga rolls off the line. I doubt he could keep down his breakfast if he saw what some people do to them further.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012