close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Saiga .308 vs. Mossberg .308

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Kadetklapp, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Lately I've been taking an interest in .308 rifles for long range use. There is a Mossberg 100 ATR package deal at Big R for under $800 that includes a huge scope, bipod, cammo stock, adjustable trigger, and a huge muzzle brake.

Or I could go semi-auto and build my own out of a Saiga .308. I have a Saiga 12 and I love it (with the exception of the stupid import stocks and fire control assemblies). Wondering if the barrel is "heavy" enough for long range scope work or if it's more of a battle rifle.

2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

A couple options for you. FN has a 308 rifle out, and the AR10 makes a very accurate platform and there are several different manufacturers out there.

3. AR-15 Outlaw

AR-15 Outlaw

i'd advise against the mossberg. i love their pump shotgun and think they should stick to that. their .308 atr was a very big dissapointment for me. light primer strikes from the beginning with some failure to fires, refused to chamber the last round of the internal magazine. i'd rate accuracy 2 drunk hillbillies of a possible 10. i tried about 15 different reloads with no luck after getting 4 inch 3 shot groups off a caldwell rest at 100 yds with factory ammo, with the reloads after about 10 different tries to find one it liked i got the groups down to just under 3 inches. this blew my mind considering i was shooting sub moa with the ar i had just built using a pipe wrench as a hammer to put pins in. after that i sold it off and am getting ready to buy a new remington 700 .308 for under $600 new in box. i'd do the same if i were you or even a savage.

4. reeser

reeser

funny i have both rifles.....my atr was a scope combo rifle for under 300 new out the door. thats about what its worth, i don't care about the bi pod or adjustable trigger--not worth an extra 500!!!! the saiga is a great bargain imho esp at 450 at classicarms.us!!! i love my saiga so much i bought another one!!! if you can only get one buy the saiga. then wait for a used remington 700 or winchester model 70 or ruger m77 in 308 and have matching ammo guns.

5. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

Saiga is more battle rifle oriented. However I have read good reports of longer range accuracy. I have never shot one, but I want one.

I do love the Ar-10 platform. Mine shoots slightly over MOA. If I wasnt shooting it, it would probably do better. :whistling:

My favorite bolt gun so far is the Savage with Accutrigger. I got one in 30-06 from a fellow GTer a while back, it is a lot of gun for the money.

6. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I bought a Remington 700ADL Varmint at Dick's for $419 after rebates. First time out it shot .69moa. Iwould stick to Remington or Savage for a bolt gun. Also look at Howa/Weatherby Vanguard.

7. AKguy

AKguy

I second this. I just picked up a Remington 700 in .308 and it is worth the extra money. I have yet to hear anything good about the Mossberg 100 ATR's. My local gun shop has lightly used one in .270 with a [cheap] Tasco scope for $295 plus tax, and it still hasn't been bought. So, if you don't want to spend the extra, get the Savage. I've had a few Savages and while they're not the best thing ever, they're good the money. Mossberg makes great shotguns; not so good rifles. Same for Saiga.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Howas, Savages, and Remingtons do nothing for me. Very bland for the money. I liked the Saiga because it was something I'm sort of familiar with since I have a 12, and the Mossberg because it was a package deal. I know if I buy a Savage or the like, I'll be stuck with a rifle I can't use because I'll never get around to setting it up properly.

I should point out that I'm not really a rifle person but more of a pistol guy.

9. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Given your choices, I'd go with the Saiga, I prefer the Savages myself, and just as an additional plus for the savages, thye can be bought in packages, I used to have an FFL and those were rather popular, mine has an accu-trigger and a "cheap" scope that came in the package and it is a great gun....

But since you don't like them, go with the Saiga, great guns, and then have someone move the trigger group forward for you...

10. vafish

vafish

I have a Mossberg 100ATR in .30-06. It's the package version with the 3-9x scope and sling that sells for $300-$350 at the big mart stores. I took it in trade for a broken dirt bike.

It's a functional gun and I've shot 2 deer with it this year. Accuracy is about 1 1/2" at 100 yards with factory ammo.

I can't imagine paying $800 for the same gun with a cheap 4-16x scope and cheap bipod on it. That gun really shouldn't sell for more than $400.

Kadetklapp from what you have said I think the Siaga would fit your wants more than the Mossberg.

11. soulless

soulless

never shot a mossberg .308 but i use to own a saiga 308. The trigger on the saiga is the worst ever.. you'll need to convert if you wanna shoot it accurately..