Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking at some Saiga .308 rifle lately. How do they perform? Reilable? Accurate? I want one pretty bad and might be trading a Glock 20 in on one soon. Whats the verdict?

·
Banned
6,095 Posts
I don't have but a few hundred rounds through mine, and that was just blasting at 50 yards, but I didn't have any problems.

A guy at my club was shooting one at 100 yards, from a rest, using mil-surp ammo and iron sight and getting less than 4" groups. I was pleasantly surprised.

I've always wanted to put a scope on mine to see what it could do, but I mostly got it for a SHTF street sweeper with a 20 round mag.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have one. What do you intend to do with it eventually? They are reasonable accurate, 2 inch @100 yds with good ammo and AK reliable. Downside is that it's not as ergo as an AR (308) platform, mags are more expensive, not as accurate, and you need to put a few hundred dollars into one to get it converted. If I had to do it over I would just fork out the money and go with the AR 308 platforms and be done with it. Resale value is also better with the AR than with the Saiga. Checkout CDNN, they have CMMG 308's at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
I had one and sold it, the worst sale of many I've made. I despised the clunky side scope mount, thought then and still do think it is a POS.

But the upside is, .308 power, it never malfunctioned, shot anything I fed it, easy to clean and it was inexpensive. Bought one of the early 6.5mm Grendels, WAY too heavy. Sold it. Have a Ruger Mini 30 which I really like but the Saiga was a great gun particularly if you don't mind its limitations regarding sights. Don

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I had one and sold it, the worst sale of many I've made. I despised the clunky side scope mount, thought then and still do think it is a POS.

But the upside is, .308 power, it never malfunctioned, shot anything I fed it, easy to clean and it was inexpensive. Bought one of the early 6.5mm Grendels, WAY too heavy. Sold it. Have a Ruger Mini 30 which I really like but the Saiga was a great gun particularly if you don't mind its limitations regarding sights. Don
Cant you buy picatinny type mounts now a days?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've had several 308 Saiga's. I really like the 16 inch version since it's roughly the same size as a standard AK... though extremely front-end heavy. The first thing you'll notice is that trigger pull is horrendous. The trigger pull isn't backwards like most guns, it's more upwards. That makes shooting a standard 308 Saiga... accurately... difficult. Like most AKs in this category, it shoots about 4MOA with surplus ball and about 2MOA with quality commercial ammo. Don't be surprised if the front sight is canted. Everyone I had was canted to the right.

The prices on high-cap mags seem to be dropping. I've seen several different brands of 20rd mag under $25 ea. I've been using the 20rd mags from the defunct FBMG, and they have been 100% reliable. I would highly suggest converting the rifle to pistol grip configuration. The 308-1 Saiga is definitely the easiest Saiga conversion I've done so far. All you need is about $125 for the conversion kit, a couple hours of spare time, a drill and a punch. The denial plate is spot welded to the receiver in two adjacent spots, so a Dremel does come in handy cutting it off. The 308-1 trigger group is nothing like the other Saiga's or AKs. The shepard's hook is totally different. Might want to take a picture of the assy before removing it. Once converted, it's an excellent handling rifle with a standard AK trigger pull. It's quite similar to the 308 WIN PSL.

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy. I was looking for one mostly as a long range plinker rifle and maybe the occasional hog gun. But mostly for messing around as a ranch rifle. I found one already converted yesterday for $525 with OD forearm and stock. Heres a pic. Is this a decent price? Seems like most i have seen are about that price non converted.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Don't know, I'm not current on what is currently available for the Saiga. The dust cover or whatever is the correct term isn't a suitable mount location, too flimsy and it certainly can't be relied upon to be in the same position shot after shot. Don
They have several options. I would assume you could have someone directly install a picatiny rail. Ive seen rails that mount over the top of the gun and also rails that replace the top grip piece.

Thanks guy. I was looking for one mostly as a long range plinker rifle and maybe the occasional hog gun. But mostly for messing around as a ranch rifle. I found one already converted yesterday for $525 with OD forearm and stock. Heres a pic. Is this a decent price? Seems like most i have seen are about that price non converted.
Id jump on it if i where you.

·
Huge Member
12,245 Posts
I had one for about 8 years and just hated the trigger to the point where I rarely shot it. Finally converted it to a pistol grip a couple week ago and it is now a fun rifle to shoot. It (16" bbl) is surprisingly accurate.

Mine was cheap back in the day and cost me $100+ to convert. If you can find one already converted at a decent price jump on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.